Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Security

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Just call me Dubs
Default Security

I'm have an issue with my security light coming on it does do it all the time only sometimes and only when I hit a dip or pothole or some kinda obstruction in the road.I check the manual to find out what this means and it says it has to do with my passkey but I have no problems starting the car what could this mean?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Just call me Dubs
Default RE: Security

Oh yeah on another unrelated topic when I purchased the car from the dealer I had a transmitter in the visor when you folded it down the double sided sticky tape that was holding it to the windshield had came off. I asked the dealer what it was for since he didn't have a remote for it and he said he didn't know it was in the car when it was traded it.So the only thing I think it can be is a remote start. How do I go about finding out what company makes it and seeing if it works so I can get another remote it's starting to get cold here and that would come in handy if that's what it is.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 PM

That security light a common issue with the BCM I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I started getting the same issue, it came on randomly while driving, but wasn't a problem. One day I went to start my car to go to lunch. Wouldn't turn over. Weird, cause everything else worked. The battery was fine, but when I put the key in and turned it to start, the security light came on and the starter wouldn't turn. Everything else worked (headlights, radio, heater). Had it towed to a dealer, and it was the BCM.

-Riggs.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Just call me Dubs

thanks what did the dealer end up charging you to fix it and can it be done without going to them

Old 10-05-2008, 04:33 PM

Watch out for the passlock system to start to fail. It is not a BCM issue, but rather the passlock sensor. Aleros, Monte Carlos, Malibus, Impalas, and any other GM car that has the dash mounted ignition cylinder with the passlock sensor in there is notorious for failure. If the security light is on, take it to a shop, pay the money and have the code read that it is throwing.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Mine has a passlock issue but no code.
Still haven't changed my ignition cylinder yet. Went to my 20 yr (damn I'm gettin old) class re and found out one of my classmates works for a Chevy dealer. Had his own shop before his divorce. I talked to him about it, probably get him to do it for me. Gotta save a little $$ first.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Just call me Dubs

ORIGINAL: dustybird3

Mine has a passlock issue but no code.
Still haven't changed my ignition cylinder yet. Went to my 20 yr (damn I'm gettin old) class re and found out one of my classmates works for a Chevy dealer. Had his own shop before his divorce. I talked to him about it, probably get him to do it for me. Gotta save a little $$ first.
well that works for you but not for me I wouldn't trust my friend that's a mechanic to fix anything else of mine he cuts to many corners.I would like to save some money as well but I don't know anyone at a dealership

Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

I was going to take it to the same mechanic that worked on our truck but then found out about my classmate. The guy that worked on the truck specializes in fuel injection systems but said he does a little bit of everything. The other guy works on Chevys all day so I think I'll go with him instead, and unless he's changedA LOT in 20 years, he completely trustworthy.

I also know a few of those corner-cutters, my baby isn't going to them either.

Is your's showing a code?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 AM

So Low....is this the same mechanic that hacked up your springs the fit your rims? I don't blame you for not wanting to go to him. The passlock sensor is very easy to replace...Becky...I still haven't taken pictures from my Malibu. HAHA. Take the stereo out, dash trim pieces, then there are two or three small screws that hold the ign cylinder in, then turn your key to the "on" position and then on the bottom of the huge unit, there is a button, get a knife and push that button in and pull the cylinder and sensor out. Then seperate the sensor from the ign cylinder the same way. This is the quick version, if you want, you can buy a Chilton or Haynes manual and it will be in more detail. HOWEVER, if they say anything about tearing the dash out, you don't need to. You can access the system through the radio placement.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 AM

Also, if your car throws a security light, it is storing a code. Not a Service Vehicle or Service Engine Code, but it is. A code reader from Auto Zone will not read a code stored by the BCM. You have to have Tech II to read it. I'm saying this as a generality, Becky. If you took it to a mechanic with Tech II and it isn't reading any codes from the security system then that is weird. )

Quick Reply: Security