Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Seatbelt wont retract

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 06:02 PM
1 Year Member
Exclamation Seatbelt wont retract

I have an issue where my seatbelt in my 2002 Monte Carlo wont retract. My little cousin, while I was doing some work under the hood, got in the car and managed to pull the driver side seat belt up to the label and get it stuck. Now I can't get it to retract. I talked to my local mechanic shop and they said it would cost at minimum $95 to fix it. I would like to fix it my self but I don't know how to get the panel off to remove the seat belt retractor. If anyone has been in a similar situation and knows how to get the panel off and fix the seat belt the help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit 1: I may not have been very clear on whats wrong with the seatbelt. He pulled it until the part number label is showing. It will not pull any further and will not retract but it is still attached to the retractor. I would take it out and try to fix it but I don't know how to remove the plastic panel.

Last edited by Micim987; 11-16-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check out the thumbnails in my post within the attached thread which includes factory instructions:

Link: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...tractor-54930/

Last edited by plumbob; 11-16-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:41 AM

I got lucky when mine jammed.
I angrily shook the belt and it retracted!

Eventually, ... I had to pull the panel, shop-vac out accumulated crud, blow-out the mechanism with a compressed air line and silicone spray the ratchet and recoil assy.