Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Seafoaming

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Default Seafoaming

So I'm planning on seafoaming the Monte sometime soon, and I really only have one vital question. As of now I only plan on running it through the gas tank and through a vac line, and I will probably save doing the crankcase for whenever I'm close to my next oil change. The gas tank is obviously the simple part, but for the vac line, I have no idea where to start as I'm not all too familiar with the 3800 yet. I've heard the brake booster line is the easiest to do but a lot of people say it's not the greatest because it won't reach all cylinders, so apparently the safest bet is the PCV line. My question is where exactly is it located on our cars? If anyone could supply a picture or something to that effect, you'd be my hero.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would just use the brake booster. No matter which one you use, you won't be reaching everything.

How do you drive? after 150K I did my FIRST seafoam, but since it's a lot of highway driving I hardly had anything built up in my car. So if you do much highway / high rev driving you probably don't have much carbon build-up.

The PCV is located under the 3800 engine cover, on the passenger side compartment FYI.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 AM

the brakebooster (big black round thing on driver side firewall) just take the line off the booster and pour the seafoam in while the car's running. when you're at about 1/2 a can, stop pouring and let the car stall out. Put the vac line back on the booster. Then pour the other half of the can in the gas tank. Wait for 20minutes or so and then fire it up again (might crank a bit hard but don't worry its normal) wait for most of the smoke to clear out of the exhaust, then go and drive the **** out of it for 5-10 minutes. Done.

Web Search/Source
Hope it gives you some idea
Good Luck

Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When I did the seafoam, it's good to have 2 people. I put one whole can in my 1/4 full gas tank, then filled up with gas the rest of the way (have a funnel)

Then I bought a 2nd bottle, and poured half of that bottle into a cup (one of those hot/cold foam cups). I had my Dad sit in the driver's seat to keep the car from stalling while I was pouring. (hit the gas slightly if it sounds like it's about to die) or Restart the car if it did stall.

Then very very slowly you pour from the cup into the brake booster line, if you go too fast it will stall out. when you have about 2/3 - 3/4 of the cup poured into the car, go ahead and dump the last 1/3 - 1/4 really fast to stall the car out. Put the line back on the car, and go have a sandwich haha.

Then continue to follow Spaces instructions.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 AM

...Thanks Mod `Mike for the additional help/infor 4-Sure.
Personal experience is always best....

Next Subject: How we can teach U how to get a Speed'in Ticket
4-Sure : )

Good Luck on the SeaFoam Experience....I like their products

Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I would just use the brake booster. No matter which one you use, you won't be reaching everything.

How do you drive? after 150K I did my FIRST seafoam, but since it's a lot of highway driving I hardly had anything built up in my car. So if you do much highway / high rev driving you probably don't have much carbon build-up.

The PCV is located under the 3800 engine cover, on the passenger side compartment FYI.
Ah, I've just been reading about a lot of instances where guys use the brake booster and it isn't nearly as effective, but I guess they could just be blowing smoke.

Most of the driving is city, and the people who owned it before me were mostly city miles. It's sitting on about 85K miles right now so I figure it can't do anything but help.

And I appreciate the help aswell Space. I've got the instructions on how/what to do down pretty solid, it's not like it's a difficult process, I was just curious as to where exactly I shall be pouring into. If the general consensus is to just use the brake booster then I'll probably just do that.