Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

RPM Surge Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:12 AM
ww
Default RE: RPM Surge Need Help

Hi,
Looks like I have the number 4 Monte Carlo that is doing the same thing. I have a 2000 SS .My car does it at about 1500 rpms and I thought at first the transmition was slipping.It only does it in high gear after the converter has locked up and Im just moving along and not hitting the gas.If you find out what is causing this please post because like was said, it is very annoying. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:30 PM

Hey Guys,

After MONTHS of this problem the dealer found and fixed it on mine. It was a broken wire for the crank sensor, they replaced the wire harness and the surge is gone!!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 AM

I had the same problem for almost a year with my 2000SS. The dealer had it for a total of 13 days, replaced the cat (free but no help) and fuel filter (I had put 2 on in the last 4000 miles), and gave up. I took it to a local guy and he sent me to the transmission shop. I road with him on the test drive and he said it was definitely not a trans problem and suggested replacing the fuel pump. I did that and the pressure reg. and still no luck. I used the car very little over the winter and one day the trac/abs light came on. I took it to my local guy last weekto check it out and hefound a code for the upstream O2 sensor that had not tripped the CEL. It seems to have fixed the problem. Maybe this will help some of you who have the same problem and haven't tracked it down.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by montejass
Sounds like a bad O2 sensor or EGR valve........

How's your mileage?

What are your thoughts Chevy_jj or FD.
I have the same issue vehicle surges when going uphill also it might surge here in there. I just changed both O2 sensors in the vehicle still surges. I have the FIXD app and cleared my engine check light but vehicle still has the surge.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kelly Poynor
I have the same issue vehicle surges when going uphill also it might surge here in there. I just changed both O2 sensors in the vehicle still surges. I have the FIXD app and cleared my engine check light but vehicle still has the surge.
If you're looking for help with your issue, I'd suggest posting a new thread. This one's literally 17 years old and most of the posters on here haven't been online in more than a decade.

Old 10-24-2023, 02:28 PM
Default HELP!!!!please

Originally Posted by squidward
Thanks for the input everyone . To answer a few of the questions that was asked in the above posts. The car as 71000 miles (and some change). The check engine light has never come on so I don't think there will be any codes. I have a code scanner at home so I will try to pull it later and see if there is any. The car idles and runs like brand new. There seems to be no power loss associated with this. It only happens between 50 and 60mph when you just cruising and have your foot light on the petal. As soon as your give it more gas it goes away. If you pop the tranny into 3rd it doesn’t happen because the RPM's are higher. We changed out the PCV valve thinking that might be the issue but it didn’t solve out problem.

Thanks
Squidward
I knows this is an archived thread, I was just wondering if squidward;1213 you ever figured this problem out cause I am have the same exact issue to the tee. Please if you can dig any advice from 18+ yrs ago lol it would be greatly appreciated