Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Replacing Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Default Replacing Heater Core

Anyone have any suggestions. Coolant smell inside the car - really no difference in heat coming from car. Appears to be speckles on the windshield (inside).

All I want to hear is I DO NOT have to take the dash out.... lol

Thanks

Old 12-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Default RE: Replacing Heater Core

You don't

Old 12-12-2007, 10:29 PM

[*]Remove the fuel injector sight shield, if equipped with 3.8L.[*]Drain the coolant.[*]Use J 38185 (or pliers) in order to position aside the heater hose inlet and outlet clamp at the heater core.[*]Disconnect the inlet and outlet heater hose from the heater core.[*]Remove the vacuum tank.[*]Remove the floor carpet.[*]Remove the rear floor air outlet duct from the holes in the floor reinforcement.[*]Disconnect the rear floor air outlet duct from the heater core outlet cover.[*]Remove the bolts from the vacuum harness bracket and position bracket aside.[*]Remove the heater outlet cover screws. IMPORTANT: Position the heater outlet cover downward and rearward in order to disconnect the cover from the rear area floor duct assembly.[*]Remove the heater outlet cover.[*]Remove the heater core cover screws.[*]Remove the heater core cover.[*]Remove and discard the seals from the heater core cover.[*]Remove the caulk from the heater core outlet cover.[*]Remove and discard the outer seal from the heater core.[*]Remove the heater core pipe retainer clamp screw from the heater core retainer clamp.[*]Remove the heater core retaining clamp screw from the heater core.[*]Remove the retaining clamp from the heater core.[*]Remove the heater core from the HVAC lower case.[*]Remove the heater core pipe retainer clamp from the heater core pipes.[*]Remove and discard the heater core lower seal from the HVAC case.[*]Remove and discard the heater core center seal from the HVAC case.[*]Remove and discard the heater core upper seal from the HVAC lower case.[*]Remove and discard the heater core side seals from the HVAC lower case.[/ol]and then install in reverse....
i havent actually looked into doing it, but it appears the joys of dash removal is replaced by the joys of floor carpet removal.... aside from that, wouldnt be too bad..... on the up sideflat rate time is only a couple hrs, so it must not be too rough.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Great for the DIY board.

I would love to see that board grow more.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Gotta love it!!! LOL - you mean the dash can stay in!!!

I'll keep you guys posted.

On another note.. I know I had a post under the suspension section. I finally did get around to lowering the car as well as replacing the rear trailing arms. I do have some before and after pics - I'll post once I get this little mess cleaned up!!

Thanks everyone!!

Old 12-14-2007, 04:58 PM

the other option is to take the inlet hose and a peice of copper tubing and plug it in to the outlet hose then tighten with clamps and by oass the ehater core all togeather

this would mena no tearing the dash apart.
no tearing the carpet out
and NO HEAT!!

but at least you wont have to deal with the smell any more .

but i think the others are right it would be a great D.I.Y.
now that our cars are gettign up there in thier short life they are starting to be coem the "old Cars" now. So anything like this or replaceing the rack in them or even the I.S.S. Shaft repairs would be great to have in a D.I.Y. section here.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:35 PM

I was wondering how much can the heater core cost kragens is selling for 94.93 anyone know where I can get it cheaper

Old 12-28-2008, 05:29 PM

that surprises me that you dont have to take the dash out. wow thats lucky.

two years ago when i had a gmc jimmy the heater core went out mid winter. i had no heat and i bought a power inverter and plugged the worlds smallest space heater in. i had a parka hat and a seat heater to. god it sucked. i didnt have any time till spring to fix it so i went through -4 degrees for periods of time. it was also in the mornign at 4 and i dint leave till 7 at night so it was always friggen cold.
i had it fixed at a shop and it was a 12 hour job. holy crappola.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:23 AM

I read that whole Post.
I must have missed:
REMOVE your hair in chunks by pulling-out small patches by the roots.
REMOVE your friends and family from earshot of raised-voice utterances of profanity.
[Like: a) "You motor-fogging motor-fogger." b) "Cheese-its motor-fogging crisp!" c) "Kiss my faulting ash you motor-fogging sock-cutter".]

Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 AM

I am trying to figure
out if I need to replace mine or not. I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS. I love the
car, but its the poster child for why GM is failing as a company. I have
replaced the tranny, the radiator (twice), the ac condenser, the radiator fan,
and so on....Now I believe its time for the Heater Core to be replaced.

I have an odor of radiator fluid in the cabin of my car the last few weeks. Now,
the coolant is saying low (did I mention I have replaced my thermo sensor three
times now)...Anyway, this morning the passenger floor board of my car looked like a
pregnant woman broke her water (where the hell did all that water come from I
ask myself). Anyway, My little brother is a mechanic and he says we need to only
flush the heater core. How do I know if I need to replace the core or merely just flush it???

please advise.

Quick Reply: Replacing Heater Core