Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Replaced lower, upper, and valve cover gaskets after it sat for a year and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Default Replaced lower, upper, and valve cover gaskets after it sat for a year and wont start

I had a lower intake leak and vavle cover leak on my supercharged 3800 series 2 monte carlo. i parked it over a year ago and jist go around to doing the replacedments on the upper, lower intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets. i also replaced my tranny intercooler lines. i went to go started it after filling it with oil and water/system flush cleaner. it turned over slowly and the fired once. i thought i seen a puff of smoke come out when it fired. it then died and will barly turn over once. when i turned the key it clicks loudly and barly turns. any ideas on what this could be? the only thing i can come up with is the starter died or possibly some collant got into the shaft but i dont think so. very frustrated. was looking forward to driving it again.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:18 AM

I would start with the battery, Have you tried boosting the battery or jump starting the car ? Check battery voltage if you can , a fully charged battery has 12 - 12.5 volts and when running usually around 13.5 - 14.5 volts. Good luck

Old 05-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Default Baterry

I did try jumping it with the same results. i had the battery disonnected the whole time it sat.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:41 PM

Then from there I would check grounds . You can pull starter and you can bench test it or have store do it for you. I still would test the battery as you said it wasn't connected for a year did you charge it during this time ? A battery will loose its charge from sitting and if you're in the cold states freezing kills them.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

X2 What Jeff said it is most likely the Battery or the ground for it or the starter.

Then from there I would check grounds . You can pull starter and you can bench test it or have store do it for you. I still would test the battery as you said it wasn't connected for a year did you charge it during this time ? A battery will loose its charge from sitting and if you're in the cold states freezing kills them.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Default Its running!

Fuel rail was not completely tight and i had to reconnect brake booster and jump it.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:34 PM

Glad you're up and running