Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3rd Gen ('78-'80): Recommendation for a mini starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Recommendation for a mini starter

Howdy all!
I currently have a Summit Racing® Mini High-Torque Starters SUM-G1660A. It is a "clockable" starter with the solenoid pointed "Down." While it has been a good starter, it is becoming more and more susceptible to moisture. Every Spring when I get the car out, I power wash the under cage and engine compartment. I've been having to remove the starter so the solenoid does not get wet. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th solenoid now. While I have the engine out I figured I'd take the whole starter to be "refreshed." My engine builder, who has had the same problem, recommended that I purchase a starter wrap. Not only to protect the solenoid from water, but also from heat as the headers are very close to it.

With that background, I was wondering if anybody has a recommendation of a more "weather resistant" mini starter? While I don't DIRECTLY spray the starter with the pressure washer, it does get wet and then the solenoid fails.
I have a good friend who uses an OEM GM mini starter in both his drag car and his Nova. Would one of those be more robust IF it fits between the headers and engine?

Or, would I be better suited to refresh the starter I have and buy a good wrap to protect it from moisture and excessive heat?

I had posted a while back about installing a remote solenoid like on a Ford, but am going to keep that as a last resort as I can't think of a good place to mount it that is hidden.

Thanks!
Russ