Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Rear tire scrapes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Default Rear tire scrapes!!!

Whats up guys?! I have a 2001 Monte SS and the car sits on 20" but I noticed when I have people in the back the driver side rear tire scrapes up in the fender well. It's begining to mark up the upper side wall of the tire. These tires are pricey and I don't want to have to buy another one. I replaced the rear struts hoping that would fix the problem but it didn't. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this little problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys and gals!!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Default RE: Rear tire scrapes!!!

[align=center]Hi Fernado,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Simple answer to your problem:[/align][align=center][8D]Don't carry passenger's in your rear seat [/align][align=center]It seems the price one has to pay for going with a larger[/align][align=center]rim : ( Check below on `Dub's[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_62295/tm.htm[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I would think that adjustable shocks may `help,[/align][align=center]but that's a guess. If a member doesn't have[/align][align=center]the answer, I would check with a pro dub[/align][align=center]wheel dealer.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]That extra mass hanging from the end of the suspension is called unsprung weight, which cannot be controlled by the springs of the car. Unsprung weight is difficult for the suspension to control, so engineers try to minimize it.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Keep us updated on your results.[/align][align=center]I'll ask a few of my friends that have Dub's@ school.[/align][align=center]Fernado, wish U good luck,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM

The car has about 4-5 inches of clearence from the tire to the wheel well and I thought that would be enough. It's only the drivers side that scrapes. The passenger side is just fine. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to suspension. Is there a rubber damper I can put into the spring itself so the spring does not compress all the way? I have seen cars with them but I did't know if that wa factory only part or if they can be purchased in the aftermarket. The car came with the rims and they really look nice. Bummer!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Hi Fernado,
Sorry that your post didn't get more answers.
But, it's only been three days, & many member's only
stop in once or twice a week.
Below are a few links for you to research.
I would, but I'm behind in my studies.
Good Luck.
Lower Your Car - The Basics of Lowering Your Car
Racers lower their cars to reduce the center of gravity, which can improve cornering. But then they raise suspension-mounting points and install completely ...
www.automedia.com/The_Downlow_of_Handling/dsm200... - 49k - Similar pages
http://www.automedia.com/The_Downlow...sm20030601h3/1
I was told that I can lower my car by cutting the suspension...
I was told that I can lower my car by cutting the suspension springs. Is this a good idea? This is a BAD idea; your spring rates will be all wrong.
www.answerbag.com/q_view/1878 - 63k - Similar pages
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1878
Re: HOW TO LOWER A CAR-THE RIGHT WAY (FAQ) - Suspension and ...
The most common reason among most non-racers to lower their car is for the look. True performance enthusiasts want to improve on the handling of their cars, ...
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...0260&t=502... - 108k - Similar pages

Old 03-10-2008, 06:31 PM

The cars suspension has not been altered at all. It's still stock from what I can tell. Thanks for you're help. I'll keep you informed!!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 PM

what up LT sorry you cant enjoy the twinkies,but I MIGHT have the answer to your promblem but you know its gonna cost you,long story short my friend had,yeah had 2002 mc ss with twentys had exact same problem hit some kind of small lift kit put on which raised it an inch or two and he never had the small rub or srub problem again even with passengers I will soon be doing the sam he paid somewhere between 400 and 500 I this was a help OZ.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info. I went to autozone last night and got some rubber coil spring spacers. I didn't get a chance to put them on last night (watching the Suns and drinking beers) but I'll have them on tonight. Being rubber they should not make the ride so rough and they'll only raise the ride height about an inch and not let the spring compress so much. Hopefully this will work! Really like to keep the rims or at least save the tire so I can sell them if not. Thanks again for all of the input!!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Biggest help I can think of is to NOT LET ANYONE SIT IN YOUR BACK SEAT! 20's are just too tight of a fit, and the rear suspension isn't much. I have had my 18's hit a few times when my nephew was in the back seat by himself, along with gear in the trunk to go to MIS for NASCAR.
Rubber in the springs will help, but lifting it looks like crap, let alone it messes with the suspension geometry. You will need your camber increased after putting in rubbers in the back.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:16 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Raising the rear of the car an inch won't affect it that much.

I had to do the same with my g/f's '81 and my '86 Montes. My '86 sets so low if you park next to a curb and open the pass door it usually scrapes the curb. (and there goes the paint)
[sm=headbang.gif]

I used these spaces that were in a Monte at a salvage yard I just happen to spot one day. They clip on to the coil springs. Not sure if they'rea factory, or dealerpart or maybe whoever owned this car bought & installed them cause their car sat too low in the rear for them as well?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:07 PM

shoulda changed the springs not the struts... struts have nothing to do with ride height

Quick Reply: Rear tire scrapes!!!