Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Rear Defroster not working...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
1 Year Member
Default Rear Defroster not working...

Last spring my rear defroster stopped working and became less of an issue over the summer. In september I took a look at the grid and saw that a contact had fallen off the grid. I got the repair kit from the autozone and repaired it. Well it still doesnt work. The light on the dash lights up but nothing happens on the window?

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks

Old 12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
1 Year Member
Default RE: Rear Defroster not working...

I just did a quick search(should have first!). The grid is fine, no scratches etc. Can the relay go bad too? Where is it? Also I looked for a fuse quick(its cold outside!) but couldnt find it. Is it on the drivers side or the passengers side? Could this explain why my heated seats dont work either? They went at the same time last spring....

This is a 2000 Monte Carlo LS BTW.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2007, 06:45 PM

Well i'm not that smart with cars but, I'd check the fuses (they are on the side of the dash, driver and passenger side), just look at the information sheet (on the cover you take off to reveal the fuses) and find the one for that fuse and replace it with one of the extras.

I figure it would be a fuse because it seems weird that both went out at once.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: orthokneepa

Last spring my rear defroster stopped working and became less of an issue over the summer. In september I took a look at the grid and saw that a contact had fallen off the grid. I got the repair kit from the autozone and repaired it. Well it still doesnt work. The light on the dash lights up but nothing happens on the window?

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks
personally, when i had a contact fall off, i just sodderd it back on (took 2 ppl to hold things). the kits i've seen are for repairing the lines across the glass...

anyway, try to turn it on and check if you have power from the left side window terminal/connector to the right side. maybe just a poor connecton at the glass.

after that check power at the relay and circuit breaker found on the right side of the dash.