Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Really need help with this thing please!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 01:03 AM
Default Really need help with this thing please!!

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum actually made an account just so I could hopefully get some insight on this problem lol. Okay so I have a 2000 SS Monte 3.8 and I was driving the other day and it started to heat up(not overheat but higher than 210) and then it suddenly shut down and wouldn't start back. I got it back home and found out I had a leaking water pump which is probably what caused the heating issue. But what I can't get is it's getting fire and gas, but when I crank it over it sounds like it's out of time, it's not a normal sound of the motor cranking. I let it sit over night and started it up the day after I got home with it and it turned over a couple times then fired up but it was missing so bad it was shaking the whole car. Tried multiple times after that to start it and it backfired through the intake twice. That's what led me and a few others around home to believe it had jumped time since it does have 220,000 miles on it I figured the chain had stretched out over time. But now it won't start so my uncle and I went ahead and checked the timing since we were going to have to replace the water pump anyway. So now I'm sitting with a car that wouldn't start to begin with and torn down to the timing chain. So guys I could use all the help I can get with this, I've got to get this thing back on the road in under two week, I've got a job interview I can't afford to miss. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-11-2017, 06:00 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!!
I do not know the answer to your problem but I am sure someone with more experience with the newer Montes will be able to get you headed down the right path.
Have you used a code reader yet to see if the car is throwing any codes?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like P343 said, check for codes. If you can get it started most of the big chain auto part stores will check for free. I'm thinking the crank or cam position sensors may have gotten damaged by water leaking onto them from the water pump. Timing is regulated by the PCM and not adjustable.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm waiting on the water pump to come in right now so I can put it back together and check the codes. I read somewhere else that if the cam sensor or crank sensor was bad it wouldn't send fire or gas to the motor. Is this true?

Old 05-11-2017, 01:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It should fire up, but stumble and maybe stall out (also indicative of a fuel pressure / pump issue).

Old 05-11-2017, 01:53 PM

Thanks, I just got the water pump and timing chain in. Do you guys think I should go ahead and replace the timing chain since I've already got a new one and it's already tore down to it? Seems like a good idea I just don't wanna mess it up further than what it already is.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kmac96
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm waiting on the water pump to come in right now so I can put it back together and check the codes. I read somewhere else that if the cam sensor or crank sensor was bad it wouldn't send fire or gas to the motor. Is this true?
Not true!

Failure of either sensor would still allow fuel delivery and spark.

Here are the symptoms of a bad Crank Position Sensor:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/7-c...ilure-symptoms

Here are symptoms of a bad Camshaft Position Sensor:
https://www.1aauto.com/content/artic...ensor-symptoms

Heat can also damage either sensor.

Last edited by plumbob; 05-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:49 PM

Thanks! By what I'm hearing and reading it's sounding more and more like a crank or cam sensor. I found both online for about 60 bucks a piece and they're both ACDelco brand. Was also wondering where you guys would recommend getting them from?

Old 05-11-2017, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member

RockAuto.com

Old 05-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
RockAuto.com
But cross check that part number with Amazon. If you have Prime shipping it can sometimes save you some time and a little money.