Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Ran out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Default Ran out of gas

Having a bad day today.

I searched for a related thread and didn't find anything. So...found out today that my gas gauge isn't working properly, as I ran out of gas on my way back to work from lunch. After pushing it to our parking lot I put about 5 gals of gas in to make it to a store to fill up, but she wouldn't start. I primed the lines by turning the ignition switch on/off several times. That didn't work. So, got a friend to turn the car over while I opened the valve on the fuel rails to rule out pump failure. Got a nice stream of gas flowing from the rails. Still won't start or even act as if it wants to start. I'm stuck at work with no way home...anybody have any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Default RE: Ran out of gas

pull a plug wire and see if you're getting spark and get back to us

Old 05-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

what year is your monte? you said the guage isn't working? sounds like a sending unit

Old 05-14-2008, 03:38 PM

My monte's an 01.

Just checked for spark, all's good.

Thank you all for commenting so fast.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:05 PM

check the mass airflow sensor.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:22 PM

[align=center]Hi `Art,[/align][align=center]Sorry to read about the problems that you are having.[/align][align=center]Sometimes when you run the tank completely `dry : ([/align][align=center]it can pick upjunk from the botton of your tank, [/align][align=center]and may have blocked/clogged your intake.[/align][align=center]Also, it can mess `up/clogg your fuel pump.[/align][align=center]I hope that's not the case, but if you can't find[/align][align=center]the problem, I would check the above `out.[/align][align=center]I would get a cleaner, and try to shoot `it into your[/align][align=center]fuel intake system.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Art, I hope by the time you read this that your problems have[/align][align=center]been resolved. If not, wish you good luck,[/align][align=center]from Space & the Bum's[/align]

Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 PM

I still have the problem. Although I'm thinking it IS in fact the pump. I released all the pressure from the fuel rail vent valve. I then primed for several minutes and only a trickle of fuel was dispensed when checked again.

I've read that some cars have a pump reset switch in the trunk or kick panels, anyone aware of this on the MCs?

I checked the injector and pump fuses and they were good. Anyone know how to test the pump relay? Can I just put 12v across the coil and check for contact closure, like a normal relay?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:02 PM

crawl up under the car or put your head near the fuel pump from inside and have someone turn thekey on and see if you can hear the pump running, if you cannot either your pump, fuse, relay, or wiring is the problem. if you cannot hear it let me know and ill take u further

Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 AM

This is suckin' bad. Had to leave my car at work last night. I had someone turn the key on while I listened for the pump and I can't hear anything. I pulled the Omron relayand it works fine, contacts switch when 12V is applied to coil and the coil resistance is within specification according to the data sheet I have on it.Unless anyone has another trick to try I guess it's time to call AAA and a mechanic.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:41 AM

well if everything works and ur pump isnt pumping then you have a bad pump and its gotta be replaced

Quick Reply: Ran out of gas