Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Radio Turns On Has No Sound Orange Wire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 05:57 PM

Ok I am going to guess that your radio maybe the issue. Your car only has one Orange wire that far back and before that just after the I/P fuse box it makes its Y point. There is still an area of weak link in this car at times at the point right after the fuse box.

Seeing yours has power and ground if I read your post right, I would say try the White wire at the AMP and see if there is power there at all times when you turn the radio off there should be no power only when radio on.

Also it happens that the output can go out on the AMPS. for your car there is a Bypass if your using a aftermarket radio that can be installed or even made and installed and can sound just as good with it just need to turn up the radio a little more. (If the aftermarket is high powered anyway)

You can do a battery test to check your speakers, take a AA or AAA and test the speaker wire to the speaker and if you hear it pop is means it can still take power from radio or amp. Not saying that the speaker is good. Just proves it isn't bad. Even a speaker with bad surround can make music don't mean I would like the music it makes

Anyway white wire back to that. Is the amp turn on lead from the radio. If it don't tell the amp to turn on then no sound in speakers.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:50 AM

I fixed this issue finally a few weeks ago. In this case it was the amplifier. After being sure there was power to the amp (orange wire) and a good ground to the chassis through the harness, I checked the "trigger" wire and it as well came live when the radio was turned on only. For "s&g" purposes, I hit the local pull-a-part and yanked an amp out of a wrecked 2000 SS. For a whopping price of $30, why not? Lol. Sure enough, it worked. I will say as I said before, this particular SS we have doesn't have the two wires into one behind the passenger seat ans again for "s&g purposes, I pulled up the carpet to check. Cases like this it's a good idea to do a little diagnostics before tearing the thing apart and throwing parts at it.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by danat93
I checked the "trigger" wire and it as well came live when the radio was turned on only.
I've had this issue for years. What is a "trigger" wire?