Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Radiator and coolant help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 10:57 PM
Default Radiator and coolant help

I have a 1997 chevy monte carlo and i am trying to figure out the right mixture / amount of water and coolant i'm supposed to use in my radiator and coolant resavor? Please help asap.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 PM
Default Radiator and coolant / car problems

I have a 97 chevy monte carlo and my husband just tried to flush and put new coolant and water into the radiator and coolant resavor and he didnt do it right, apparently the heat wouldnt work when he started the car then all the coolant leaked out everywhere and the car started steaming he says?? I dont know anything about cars or what to do. Someone please help...

Old 07-27-2016, 06:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by Mrs.Henry
I have a 1997 chevy monte carlo and i am trying to figure out the right mixture / amount of water and coolant i'm supposed to use in my radiator and coolant resavor? Please help asap.
The mix depends on the location of the country you live.
How cold does it get there?
So what I would suggest is run over to you favorite auto parts store and purchase an antifreeze tester. I will look like and extra larger eye dropper. Then mix up your anti freeze and water in a container and to start 3/4 Anti Freeze and 1/4 water and then test it. If it shows a -negative 20 below or -30 below, and you live in Missouri for instance that is probably a good mix, If you live in Maine that might not be good enough.
I make sure mine is at -30 below but that's about as cold as it gets in Nebraska.
Make sure you consult the owners manual for the type of Anti-freeze to use, don't mix the Red and the Green together. Make sure you dispose of this properly if you have leaks as Anti freeze has a sweet taste but it is Poison and will kill pets if they drink it, people too.
Hope that helps some?