Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default question

Today while coming home, i was on the highway in overdrive around 70mph. and i floored it to go around someone, and the car acted like the tranny was slipping, the the check engine light blinked about 18 times. i checked the trans fluid and it seems to be full. what could this be? thanks

Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member

i've been searching the site and i seen that it could be a plugged cat that cause it. could my cat be plugged at 49xxx miles? and which one could it be, doesn't our cars and like three of them?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member

and i was looking into this exhaust thing more now. is the exhaust covered under warrenty still. i've been seeing alot of people saying 10yr/120000 miles what ever comes first. is this true.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 AM

A blinking Engine light is not good at all. Hard to say what it is from what you are telling but your best bet is to get the code read either at a shop or taking it to an auto part store that will let you use their reader. The blinking check engine light is worse than a solid one. Usually they say if you see a blinking check engine light to pull over as soon as you can or get it to a gas station with a shop. Even if the light is not on anymore it should have stored in the computer and you should still be able to read it.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 AM

The only time I've personally experienced the blinking CEL is when my car was misfiring. A misfiring engine could seem like the tranny is slipping when you are at high speed. Like Pure2sin said, get those code(s) read.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
A blinking Engine light is not good at all. Hard to say what it is from what you are telling but your best bet is to get the code read either at a shop or taking it to an auto part store that will let you use their reader. The blinking check engine light is worse than a solid one. Usually they say if you see a blinking check engine light to pull over as soon as you can or get it to a gas station with a shop. Even if the light is not on anymore it should have stored in the computer and you should still be able to read it.
yea the light stays solid now, the car still runs great, no strage sounds, just that power loss when i floor it.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sliver
The only time I've personally experienced the blinking CEL is when my car was misfiring. A misfiring engine could seem like the tranny is slipping when you are at high speed. Like Pure2sin said, get those code(s) read.
yea tomorrow im going to get the code pulled so i know what it is. but does anyone know what kind of warrenty our exhaust has on it.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 AM

10 year/100k mile.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member

well i called the chevy dealer this morning and told them everything that it was doing, and they said it sounds like the cat is plugged. im hoping that is what it is because they said for the 03's its 8yr/100,000 wry on that. the car kinda seems to bog more and more the way it feels. and the code was a engine misfire, and i also told that to the chevy dealer and they told me that a plugged cat will make that code come up. lets keep the fingers crossed.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member

well i went to the chevy dealer after work, and they didn't even need to test the exhaust they could tell that the cat was really plugged just driving it into the building. they threw a new cat on it. and all I can say is WOW the amount of power it has now, i cant remember the last time i felt that out of the car.