Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Problems with ignition. Has this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Default Problems with ignition. Has this happened to you?

Hello, I have an 01 Monte Carlo SS and when I turn the key to start it, sometimes it pauses between 1-3 second before the starter kicks in. It doesn't do this all the time, just sometimes. It's really annoying, I might add. Also, I just got an Astrostart put in it. It seems as if it didn't start until the remote start was put in. Anyone else have this problem??

Old 12-20-2006, 12:59 AM
Default RE: Problems with ignition. Has this happened to you?

sounds like u already identified the problem, just talk to the people that installed or sold you the remote start.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:08 AM

Check your S terminal on the starter first off.(its the skinny wire running to a post all by its self) check to see if its loose. secondly, the ignition switches on those are prone to going out and they are a real PITA to get out. your auto start does run a jumper wire on it so you might check to see if the connection is loose. Its a huge bundle of wires thats under your dash on the left of the steering column, theres a 7 or 8 mm bolt that is used to hold the wires plugged in, the wire you are looking for is either pink or red. By the way, if Im not mistaken, that has the 3.4 in it, around 50K or so the lower intake is prone to leaking. might want to get it checked. Also if I remember correctly, there was a TSB that the ign. needed a relay and could start a fire if not corrected, might check into that as well. if there IS a relay on it, it'll be on the front of the core support, that could be going out too.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:09 AM

I did today and they said that some of the newer GM's did that. I've never heard of such a thing before and it never did it until the remote starter was installed. I'm going to call them tomorrow again.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:11 AM

No, it's got the 3.8 in it. Maybe they pulled to much on the starter wire?? I'll have to ask them to check it out. A fire does not sound good to me. First I'll have them check it out to see if they did something wrong and then I'll check on a price for an ignition switch.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:16 AM

ORIGINAL: 01BlkSS

No, it's got the 3.8 in it.
3.8s had the same problem as the 3.4s sorry Im an auto tech and I see this kind of BS all the time

Old 12-20-2006, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: MCook1999

ORIGINAL: 01BlkSS

No, it's got the 3.8 in it.
3.8s had the same problem as the 3.4s sorry Im an auto tech and I see this kind of BS all the time
I don't want to disagree or start a flame war here, but when did the 3.8's start getting a lower intake leakage problem? I know like every car you will see a problem once in awhile, but this is like a 20:1 where the 3.4's have this problem leak problem compared to the 3.8's and that might be a conservative number it may be as high as 200:1. I've been posting on other boards over the last 2 years and I've heard the occational story where a stock 3.8 will have a leak, but I hear the 3.4 leak problem almost daily.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Didn't the 3.1's also have a leaking problem? I agree with you though, this is the first I've heard of the 3.8's having that kind of problem.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:25 PM

I'm pretty sure the 3.1's did too, I don't have one so I didn't pay much attention, but I do remember tons of people that didn't have the 3.8 screaming about it.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah, the 3.1 has the same problem as the 3.4, i dont think i've seen it in the 3.8 before

because i know the problem solver kits are available for the 3.1 and the 3.4, but not for the 3.8, so i dont think they're having problems with them

Quick Reply: Problems with ignition. Has this happened to you?