Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Problems with 86 ss. I need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Default Problems with 86 ss. I need help

I have a 86 SS with a sb 350 in it. its runs fine when its sitting and idleing but when i drive it for 20-30 minutes it cuts off and i have to wait about 10-15 minutes before it starts back up. These are the parts i replaced: water pump, thermostat, fuel pump, distributor, coil and modulator, wires , plugs, fuel filter, timing chain, hoses, and flex fan. What im thinking about replacing next is carb and radiator. Im stumped i dont know what to do next. If any one has any ?s or suggestions let me know Thanks for your help.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: Problems with 86 ss. I need help

Hi, just in case a member doesn't have an answer, get or use your yahoo account and access this group.

They are awesome when it comes to automotive tips. They've saved me thousands.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/carfix_online/

Old 07-03-2007, 06:27 PM

well you changed pretty much every thing that there is to change my man there is not much left !
is it overheating ?
when it run's for that little time does it run good or ?
it maybe your cam or your rockers not ajusted right

Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 AM

Im thinking that it might be more towards the carb
Possible vabor locking

Recheck engine timing as well

But I am leaning towards carb issue

Old 07-04-2007, 01:04 AM

I had a truck with a 350 in it that did the same thing, i replaced the distributor cap and rotor inside it along with plugs and wires and that took care of the problem

Old 07-07-2007, 10:16 AM

It runs good for 15-20 minutes when im driving then all of sudden its starts of bog down then cut off. i wait like 10-15 minutes then it will start up and keep trying to cut off. but if i let it idle in the garage its runs fine. some else told me it was vapor locking so i replace my fan and water pump still the same problem. I replace the whole distributor. new coil and rotor and cap. what else can i do about the vapor locking? thanks for the replies

Old 07-07-2007, 10:52 AM

Still thinking it might be a carb issue.
Check the fuel pump as well

Old 07-07-2007, 12:19 PM

wow, this would be frusterating...

Vapor lock is when the gas in the carb and fuel lines heats up so much that it boils and turns to a vapor...This causes it to stop flowing and which is why the car would stall...

So with that being said, If it is vaporlocking then you need to cool off the fuel system some how....I first off would suggest switching to a different gas... try a different brand....secondly look and see if you can re route the fuel lines away from the hot engine parts....(block, Headers) whatever the case may be.... I would also suggest that you take apart the carb and clean it...Or if your in the market buy a new one...Dirty carbs sometimes restrict flow and would cause some back pressure dispite how little it is....

Bottom line...make sure you keep the fuel as cool as possible by any means....and make sure your carb...and float bowls are clean as possible...

Also try adding a water cooler like water wetter or somthing similar...this drops coolant temps quiet a bit...

every little bit will help...

Old 07-11-2007, 02:36 PM

I just checked my fuel line. Its touching the lower radiator hose. Does the hose get hot enough to heat up my fuel line? It also jammed between my alternator and water pump. How can i re route it? Someone told me to cut off fuel line and run a hose from the fuel pump to carb. any suggestions

Old 07-12-2007, 12:29 AM

Ok, water boils at 212F... coolant doesn't boil until like 260 or higher.. fuel boils at much less than that, probably like 150-180 degrees. The average engine runs coolant at about 220 degrees, depending on what your thermostat is, but the coolant going to the radiator is going to be hotter than that normally.

Yes, put some kind of thermal sleeve on the radiator hose, and another one on the fuel line anywhere it's touching a hot part (engine, water pump, radiator, rad hose, intake, etc)... or just route it somewhere else so it's not contacting any part of the engine. I don't know what the hell the person that built that car was thinking, but it's like they brought the fuel line out forward around the front of the engine, then back to the carb... I mean seriously... why?!

Quick Reply: Problems with 86 ss. I need help