Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Problem with Mr Monte

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Default Problem with Mr Monte

Hi guys,
Sorry that my first post here is a problem but i am trying to start doing up my wifes 1998 up and so had started looking around the forum i howeverdevelopeda problem and so i decided to submit my first post.

Here is the problem.

With the key in the ignition i have the door open chime, turn it to run and the fuel gauge ect moves, turn it to drive and the chime turns off and the car fails to start.

This developed after.

Itried to start the car after about a month of it sitting idle i found the batterywas dead so i went and picked up a new one.

Istarted the car and all the gages went crazy followed by the car cutting off i tried this a few times only to have the engine start and cut off straight away.

The next morning the car would not start up at all untill i tried my other keyat which point the car ran around fine for about 30mins till i turned it off.
now i try to start it again and nothing.

please help.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Default RE: Problem with Mr Monte

I hear this can be a security issue and it makes a difference what sort of key i have.

I have 2 keys both with the chip and the little black square.

Whilst the car was sitting the cd player was stolen maby that added to the problem?

All fuses are good.

I am stumped.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:59 PM

Hi `Lewis,
Sorry that you are encountering problems with your Monte.
Is the car throwing any codes ?
One thing I suggest and it's simple. Clean your keys
with mild dishwashing soap, & dry good.
Grim can prevent a good contact with ignition.
It's happened to many owner with chips in their keys.
It's worth a try.
Also, dis-conect the battery & wait a minute to
re-conect.. Let it reset your system.
Please be patience, & I'm sure one of our expert tech
member's will post their suggestions/solutions to your
problems. Wish you good luck.
`Space

Old 03-21-2008, 01:16 PM

thanks for the reply,
the car is not giving any codes.
i will disconect the batt and wipe the keys.
realy hope someone can help as i hear bad things about the anti theft system locking down the car.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:32 PM

sounds like the anti theft is kicking in... Ill do what I can to do some troubleshooting research for ya! clean the keys and you can try a reset of the pcm (by disconnecting the neg or positve on the battery). if neither of those work, hopefully one of us can tell ya what to try next!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Hi Vita,
i cleaned the two keys and reset the pcm but still nothing,i am realy hoping you guys can help as i live on an island were the only dealership is ford.
i can do most work myself if there is a solution to this.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:42 PM

[align=center]Hi Lewis, below is information I found in my ReSearch.[/align][align=center]How many miles are on your Monte ?[/align][align=center]Have you ever had the starter replaced ?[/align][align=center]Is it the 3.8L Engine ?[/align][align=center]Are you the original owner ?[/align][align=center]Do you know what parts have been replaced ?[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo [/align][align=center][:-]
Starting & Charging

An occasional problem with this vehicle is failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder.[/align][align=center]Failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder may prevent the vehicle from starting.[/align][align=center]The cost to repair the Ignition Lock Cylinder is estimated at $105.00 for parts [/align][align=center]and $52.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour [/align][align=center]and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.[/align]
[/align][align=center]Click on below link for Source[/align][align=center]http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...&trimid=-1[/align]

Old 03-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Hi Space Rider.
Mr Monte is a 3.8l and has 168000 miles of experience (dont let this fool you as it runs amazingly) unfortunatly i do not know if the starter has ever been replaced but it appears as if it has.

A mechanic here did note that the engine apears newer to him and sugests the engine and tranny have done less than 50k (i would agree).

Iam not the origional owner but have a record of the service history up to 100k which was just service related.
it is hard to obtain info here as all cars are imported from the states and everything car related costs 57% duty.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:17 PM

[align=center]Hi Lewis, are you in FREEPORT, BAHAMAS ?[/align][align=center]Have you tried to jump start with another vehicle to give[/align][align=center]your starter extra power, just it case it could be stuck ?[/align][align=center](The teeth can wear on the starter & also your flywheel)[/align][align=center]It could also be a faulty/bad starter switch `relay. `Guess : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It's difficult to find a solution to your problem, by just[/align][align=center]reading words on a screen : ([/align][align=center]Not having the test equipment & being there.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It's more difficult to pin point a problem when there[/align][align=center]has been multiple owners, and that it may have[/align][align=center]a engine change of rebuild engine.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It's a holiday weekend, and I'm sure that our forum[/align][align=center]will not have as many visits by member's, but[/align][align=center]again...,please be patience, and hopefully one of our[/align][align=center]member's can help you with your problems.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Wish you good luck with your repair, and in life.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 03-21-2008, 04:18 PM

Since the CD Player was stolen and the Battery dead for such a duration; the problem is likely to be related to the Anti Theft Circuitry. A similar situation disabled my wife's Honda Civic. The Honda would NOT start although the Starter Motor would engage.

We had to have the Honda towed to the Merchant that installed the combination Alarm and Remote Starter. The Auto Sound Merchant needed ALL the Keys for the car in order to RESET the Anti-Theft Feature and have the Ignition Circuity close to supply power to the Ignition.

The situation resulted from having the Battery connections removed for installation of a new Battery. The Anti-Theft Circuit was tripped and the Radio/CD Player disabled by interrupting the Power Supply during the Battery Exchange. The technician at the Auto Sound Merchant told me that supplying some voltage to the circuit to sustain the Software was all that was necessary to prevent the VAT System from engaging.

A 9-Volt Battery supply attached to the Main Battery Cables would have prevented the expense of having the Honda re-Keyed and towed-in for the fix.
You should contact Circuit City or a Major Auto Sound Merchant with you problem and seek their advice on having the VAT-System reset.

Quick Reply: Problem with Mr Monte