Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Problem with the Monte

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Alright UPDATE:
The dealer did a diagnostic today BUT could only get so far.

They THINK it might be the crank shaft sensor gone bad but they have a tear apart a bit to get to it and see. He raised it up and showed me I already have a few broken bots on the Manifold.

Anyone think that sounds about right to make the car act up like this?

Old 05-25-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
Alright UPDATE:
The dealer did a diagnostic today BUT could only get so far.

They THINK it might be the crank shaft sensor gone bad but they have a tear apart a bit to get to it and see. He raised it up and showed me I already have a few broken bots on the Manifold.

Anyone think that sounds about right to make the car act up like this?
a bad crank would cause it to shudder, miss, run like crap, make it stall. but it puzzles me why they said they THINK. the scanner would be able to tell them if the crank is good or not. (not by codes but by the pcm readings.) were they not thorough enough when doing a scan? (dont know how thorough you had them get) i had my mechanic last week double check my crank sensor and he said my pcm is reading it fine, turning the way it should. ive had plenty of ppl tell me that even tho the computer doesnt thro any codes...the sensors could still be bad, so maybe this is why they said they think? broken manifold bolts...i wonder how those got broke my car ran like crap when i had a bad wire. it was ripped inside the boot which is why we never heard nor seen sparking. did you check your wires real good? (i was in denial it was my wires because they were new wires)

Old 05-25-2014, 08:40 AM

10 Year Member

No codes are being thrown, they tested all the wires back as far as they could go without taking stuff apart I.E. by the Crank Shaft sensor so before taking stuff apart they wanted to let me know, and that is their best guess. I'm guessing the bolts prolly rusted off since she has seen a few winters now.

Does that sound right though? Would a bad crank sensor their cause it to Stall occasionally and lose power on hard accel./up hills?

Thanks for the input really really appreciated

Old 05-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Based on that video, don't think it's a crank sensor, more like a maf or o2 sensor or wiring issue. Without having the car with a proper scanner tool to watch o2 counts, crank/cam signal and fuel trims, it's really hard to tell. Have dealt with many cars with no CEL and no history codes that ended up being a bad senor. That's why the dealer said, 'they think', cause there not sure either. Good Luck

Old 05-26-2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47

Does that sound right though? Would a bad crank sensor their cause it to Stall occasionally and lose power on hard accel./up hills?

Thanks for the input really really appreciated
yes but so would a bad cam sensor, bad plug, bad wires, clogged fuel filter, leaking vacuum line, really dirty air filter, bad coil pack, bad ignition module, bad throttle sensor, bad cat (usually if the cat is clogged tho your engine light will blink), bad or dirty MAF sensor or the MAP sensor. When they are not throwing any codes it makes it harder to tell.and its a guessing game that costs money.(i literally just went thru this with mine and im furious it was just the a bad wire) If its put on a dealer scanner they can tell if the sensors are working properly. it doesn't need to be throwing codes. the scanner tells them the readings its getting from those sensors and if the readings are off then the problem could be that if everything else looks good. after i figured out what was causing the misfire i still had issues with loss of power with hard accel and hills. that ended up being my fuel filter. my mechanic said my fuel readings were low and when we changed my filter it was so clogged it was unreal and it was only a year old with not even 10k on it. my car never stalled tho. lack of fuel will definitely make it stall if it loses too much and will not thro any trouble codes. when was the last time you changed that? and did you have vacuum lines checked?

Old 05-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Nightmagic11801
a bad crank would cause it to shudder, miss, run like crap, make it stall. but it puzzles me why they said they THINK. the scanner would be able to tell them if the crank is good or not. (not by codes but by the pcm readings.) were they not thorough enough when doing a scan? (dont know how thorough you had them get) i had my mechanic last week double check my crank sensor and he said my pcm is reading it fine, turning the way it should. ive had plenty of ppl tell me that even tho the computer doesnt thro any codes...the sensors could still be bad, so maybe this is why they said they think? broken manifold bolts...i wonder how those got broke my car ran like crap when i had a bad wire. it was ripped inside the boot which is why we never heard nor seen sparking. did you check your wires real good? (i was in denial it was my wires because they were new wires)
This has me scratching my head also. If there was a power fluctuation or an erratic sensor signal they should have found it testing the CPS. The most common problem I've come across involving the sensor is a dirty electrical connector. The prongs can also come loose in the connect and cause intermittent readings - but as previously mentioned a scanner should have detected that. The biggest DIY mistake is not routing the wiring properly when they reassemble and they end up crimping the wires.

Did you ever check the ground wire? There's a guy on the Chevrolet forum that had the exact same problem and after spending all kinds of money at the dealer they discovered a bad connection between the ground cable and body/frame.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:14 AM

10 Year Member

The reason they want to check the crank shaft sensor is because that's what there system is giving off as gone bad. the reason they told me they THINK it is that is because with electrical problems there are so many different things, as you all have said, that it can be.

Yes, i checked the ground wire and it's clean, I also at the dealer when they had it lifted told them that's what it very well could be and they checked it, it's good.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I don't want to be redundant, but did they just look at it and check for tightness, or did they actually remove the cable and clean the contact points? That's where the problem would be if it is the cause.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I don't want to be redundant, but did they just look at it and check for tightness, or did they actually remove the cable and clean the contact points? That's where the problem would be if it is the cause.
No worries I'll take all the help i can get! Thanks everyone for you input!

That video shows it happened every few seconds but for me it only happens maybe once or twice a week, But when it stalled i lost power steering/braking so that was terrifying.

Probably just looked at it and took a tester to the wire
My Jack was a piece of sht so it was hard for me to get under the car but i looked as well and didn't see any corrosion.

It goes back in Wednesday for that sensor, when i drop it off I'll again tell them to check that ground wire and this time remove the cable

Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My Monte recently was going dead stick on me when pulling hard, once at the track this past Oct. while WOT and a couple months back while pulling on a uphill grade. No CEL either, Matt ran tests on CPS, ICM, Coils. Ended up being the CPS was going out, still operational buts it's signal lines had curves at the top instead of being squared off, which to him were indicitive of intermittent signals at WOT, leading to the engine shutting down. It is still in the shop, so have not had an opportunity to get back into a WOT situation while under operating conditions at the track etc.

It sucked while at the track this past October for the midnight drags, had this built mid-80's Mustang by over 5 lengths, then my Monte blacked out, total shut down, lights etc. here it came roaring by me, dang! But was so happy I did not have a catastrophic failure, I did not mind losing.

Quick Reply: Problem with the Monte