Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Power Sunroof Woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Default Power Sunroof Woes

Okay, so I know that the tilt and slide power sunroofs on our car suck. Mine is leaking a little, but that isn't my concern. Whenever the glass reaches the end of the track, instead of the motor just quitting (like on my Aveo where the moonroof slid into the body), the motor keeps running and clicks rapidly. Is that normal? I know for you 6th gen owners the motor stops. (my buddy used to have a 6th gen, I would have bought that, but he traded it in.) I just don't want to have to replace that stupid thing for almost $1,000. lol. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Default RE: Power Sunroof Woes

no thaqt is not normal.
And as faras the leaking and the stoping it they might be tied togeather.
look up re adjusting the moon roof for it. Im sure there is somethign on this on the net i just dont know where i have a 6th gen not a 5th.
But if it is leaking it is out of adjustment or the seal is bad and mostlikly it is allowing it to not sens it correctly to when to turn it off or stop it.

if you say when it closes it makes this noise and when it leacks im thinking it will leak in the front on the sides. Witch tells me it is not comming far enough forrward to seat correctly resulting in the leak and also the noise. might be at the back also after i re read this it would make sens tha tway to. it is tryign to go to where it should be the glass is further forward then it should be.

but the clicking noise is the grares strippign on the motor. i would not do it to much. OR Gofind a new set of gears on another one witch might be a good idea anyway

Old 04-05-2008, 12:23 PM

[align=center]Hi `Ryan,[/align][align=center]I hope the below information helps...Good Luck `Space[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]1995-1999 Chevrolet Lumina - Monte Carlo[/align][align=center]Sunroof Information Page[/align]
Sunroof Specs:

Type: Electric Top-Spoiler
Glass Size* 23" x 30 3/4"
*Includes Weatherstrip
[blockquote][align=center]We receive a high number of requests from customers asking for service parts for their Lumina & Monte Carlo sunroofs.[/align][align=center]The part that is usually the source of failure is a plastic guide in the track at the front of the lift arm. When this part is broken, the sunroof will bind & not close flush with the roof of the vehicle on one or both sides.[/align][align=center]Thedealers only answer is to sell you a complete replacement sunroof "module". This is the complete sunroof housing including cables, lift arms & frame assembly.[/align][align=center]We reproduce the plastic part that fails in these sunroofs. Our replacement part is constructed of anodized milled aluminum. Our part will last much longer than the original.[/align][align=center]We sell complete rebuilt sunroof "modules" on an exchange basis. We send customers a remanufactured unit with the improved design guides pre-installed. This makes for a simple unbolt & bolt on installation.[/align][align=center]The original complete sunroof module needs to be removed from the vehicle & our remanufactured module reinstalled. The original sunroof glass, motor & sunshade is reused.[/align][align=center]Your cost on a rebuilt sunroof module is $ 325.00 exchange + $100.00 core charge + $35.00 shipping via UPS ground. We pay return shipping costs on the old module.[/align][align=center]What this means is that you are charged $460.00 up front. You receive the remanufactured unit & install it in your vehicle. You then put your original module in the same box . A prepaid preaddressed UPS return label is included. After your original sunroof module is received back in usable condition, you are credited for the $100.00 core charge. Your total net cost is $360.00 including shipping charges. Cores with additional damaged or missing components will receive a pro-rated refund.[/align][align=center]We also sell the sunroof replacement guides separately. Your cost for the replacement guide repair kit is $150.00/set + shipping. You then install these parts in your original sunroof housing. Installation instructions are included.[/align][align=center]Click here to find out how to inspect the condition of your original sunroof guides[/align][align=center][font="microsoft sans serif"][size=2]If you need installation &/or troubleshooting assistance go to [URL=http://yp.yahoo.com/py/yploc.py?&cl

Old 04-07-2008, 07:14 PM

Hey Ryan, I might have some info for ya about this. Space has some interesting info on this but the guy I bought the Monte`s from did some work on the `97 moonroof and gave me thepamphlet for it. I`ll look for it and get back with ya. The `97 moonroof is cocking when it`s opened and and this paper addresses that and other issues as well. TC. But Space has some stuff I`m gonna look into about these moonroofs.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 PM

Hey I appreciate it a ton! Yeah 'Space had some awesome information about it and I forgot to tell him thanks!! Thank you in advance, I just don't want to spend a ton of money to fix it if I don't have to!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:37 PM

I think it might be gears as well. Mine stops and is completely quiet.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: rysZ34

Hey I appreciate it a ton! Yeah 'Space had some awesome information about it and I forgot to tell him thanks!! Thank you in advance, I just don't want to spend a ton of money to fix it if I don't have to!
`Ryan, you are welcomed.
"Member help'in Member equals = MCF"

Old 04-10-2008, 09:30 AM

So for an update...it is in fact, the plastic piece that breaks and the tracks are messed up and so because it isn't sealing/lifting properly, the motor doesn't know when to stop. So, the $150 kit that 'Space found, I may have to purchase...I haven't decided yet though if I should do that or go to a bone yard and get a whole unit minus the motor/glass for a little more. Any thoughts?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:34 AM

I have a quick question...my sunroof will move a few inches and stop, I jiggle the switch some, it goes a little more, I move it in the other direction (closing), then back to opening and it goes some more. It will stick in both directions. I hope it just needs greasing (I only drive the car every few weeks, and only open the sunroof every now and then) but what kind of grease would I use and how would I get it on the tracks all the way back?

I want to fix this because everytimeI open it there's that little fear that it will stop completely and won't close!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: rchurch

but what kind of grease would I use and how would I get it on the tracks all the way back?

I want to fix this because everytimeI open it there's that little fear that it will stop completely and won't close!
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hi `Randall,[/align][align=center]My grandfather taught me to use[/align][align=center]"Snap's White Lithium Grease is an all-purpose, all-weather grease spray which provides durable protection for machine parts, tools and equipment. This product will not freeze or melt. Ideal for auto, home, farm, industry and marine use. Snap's White Lithium Grease can be used on doorstops, catches, striker plates, cables, springs, cams and many other objects.
Directions:
Spray directly on part to be lubricated.
[/align][align=center]I've used it on many boats,cars/trucks, that I've cleaned.[/align][align=center]Hope it helps.[/align][align=center]Below is an article that I found in my search, and I[/align][align=center]hope it will help You, Ryan + Member's.[/align][align=center]Click on below link to read[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Sunroof Rebuild[/align]

Replace the seal between the body and the glass
by
M. Justin Fort / autoMedia.com
[align=center][:-]click on below link [:-][/align][align=center]http://www.automedia.com/Sunroof_Reb...cr20050101sr/1[/align][align=center]
[/align]
[align=center][/align]

Quick Reply: Power Sunroof Woes