Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Possible Transmission problem???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Default Possible Transmission problem???

I have been having trouble with my 2001 Monte Carlo SS shifting gears. It started out just 2nd to 3rd now its all shifts. It just doesn't want to shift gears especially when I have to merge but not always sometimes at weird times. All that happens is that the RPMs climb and it eventually shifts but usually 10-15 mph higher then normal. Shifting into 2nd is usually around 25 but most times it shifts at 35, and shifting to 3rd is usually 45-50 but I have had it at 70 once before it shifted(very hard shift). I've learned to take it easy and drive with the problem but its annoying. At times though it will shift fine and be very smooth. I have had people say its the timing belt and others say that its thewhole trans. Any thoughts? Or anyonehave or had this problem before?Thanks

Old 06-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Possible Transmission problem???

well there was another guy just posted on here with what he thought were tranny problems and it turned out to be a cat convertor, sometimes all it could be is a sensor, and sometimes it doesn't even have to be a sensor that has anything to do with whats happening, i've seen a coolant temp sensor cause a lot of different problems, not saying thats what it is, because i dont want to say something that its not, but what i suggest is that if you have a mechanic that your really really trust i would take it to him to ask, because if in the wrong hands this could turn out to be a very big bill, its not the days of small block chevy's anymore when everything was easy to work on

Old 06-16-2007, 10:06 PM

First question
Is the check engine light on?

If so take it to AutoZone and they will hook the scanner up and tell you what the codes are

Old 06-17-2007, 09:53 AM

The check engine light is not on.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:08 AM

Then most lilkely its a transmission issue

Old 06-19-2007, 11:29 AM

Fusiform,
How did you make out with the trany?
I'm asking because I have similar issues on a trany that's just over a year old.
Blew the planetary gears apart on the old one after the first week I had the Monte.

Question; does the hard shifting start right away or after the car has warmed up.
I'm getting hard shifts between 2nd and 3rd once the car has heated right up after sitting in trtaffic.

One other thing sensors are a very good idea to check on. My traction control was kicking out until I had it fixed. When this happened the computer switched to a long shift pattern.

I'm going to take the Monte in to get it checked I'll post the results once I know more.
Don't want to blow another trany up.

Will let you know what I find
GWN (aka Andy)

Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 PM

It will shift hard no matter the time...cold engine, warm, after sitting in traffic, it just doesn't seem to matter. It is funny you mentioned the traction control. Awhile back my traction control would turn off after starting my car,it still does actually. When I first got the car it would always be activated but now it changes. It seems to be at random, I can't seem to find a pattern to why the traction control is deactivating but maybe I should bring that up with my mechanic.

But to answer your initial question I still havethe problem and I'm not really sure what to do, other then taking it easy...

Old 06-19-2007, 03:40 PM

On a side note, while I'm thinking of itthe reason my traction control kicked out was I had a badabs sensor in my wheel hub.
Mind you when it kicked outit kick out my abs as well not just the traction control.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:55 PM

I have a 2002 Monte SS with 32k miles on it. Mine started to hesitate and would not shift. I called the dealer and he also asked if I had check engine lights on and I didn't but I took it down and it was a bad CAT. Good thing GM pushed the warranty out to 100k miles on the CAT, it's a none issue. Now this is for Gen III 3.8 V6's so Impala's have the same issue. Hope this helps, just take it in let the pro's diagnose it. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM

Well, so here's the bad news on my tranny issue.
It apears that in my case the hard shifting is caused by a bad EPC (electronic pressure control) solenoid which kicked a code of P1811.
Did a quick google on this and it seems to make sense.
The crapy part is apparently they tell me it means a trany re-buld ($2500 CDN)[:@]
What realy sucks is this trany is just over a year old, I had to get it re-built before.
From what they tell me this is a common issue with GM Trany's.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on.

Quick Reply: Possible Transmission problem???