Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Possible Fob Fix!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:16 PM
1 Year Member
Default Possible Fob Fix!!!

Lately my fob has been working when it wants to. Sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't. I replaced that battery and the problem continued. Yesterday I went to unlock the car and it didn't work. So i opened it up and took a closer look. I found out that the metal piece that hold the CR2032 battery down had come loose off of the circuit board. Instead of spending $50 for a new fob I tried to solder the piece back on. I figured this was a common problem because of how much car keys get thrown around and banged up.
Here are some steps on how I fixed it:

1. Remove the fob off the ring and pry it apart with a small flat head screw driver. There is an opening in the casing in the bottom right corner of the fob.
2. Once I got to the board I decided to pull the clip that holds that battery on completely off because it was extremely loose. If you can get away with out taking it off the board, do so. It will be a lot easier if you can keep the clip on the board.
3. If you can keep the clip on, you can probably solder it back on fairly easily. However this may not be the case, it wasn't for me.
4. If your clip is completely disconnected from the board, I took a very small piece of wire and fed it through the two holes on the edge of the clip. The wire provides more contact area for the solder to connect to. This may sound crazy, but it did work. I decided to try it like this because the pins that are connected to the clip to hold the clip on the board were broken off.
5. Once you have your wires (if your going that route) the your gonna want to wipe the small area down with rubbing alcohol because soldering will go smoother if the surface is clean.
6. Soldering is going to be a pain because the area is so small, but it can be done with patience and time.
7. After the clip is soldered on, you have to put everything back together. it goes together fairly easily.
8. If the process worked, the fob should work as soon as you put it all back together.

Pictures are attached
Any question, leave a reply

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0777 (2).jpg (94.2 KB, 19 views)
IMG_0778 (2).jpg (99.4 KB, 20 views)
IMG_0779 (2).jpg (94.2 KB, 18 views)
IMG_0780 (2).jpg (98.5 KB, 19 views)