Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Possesed Monte???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member
Question Possesed Monte???

Recently my car has been doing somme weird things..I will turn it on and the message center shows all the messages (security,battery,traction system,low fuel, etc.) I will be driving it and all the lights on the dash freak out and the airbag light turns on and off, along with the track lights and such. Today I was driving and it decided that it wanted to flicker my guages and show no fuel, battery, speed, rpms, or anything. then it just turned back on..What the crap is my car doing??

Thanks guys!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 PM

possible ground issue, battery, alternator, bcm, guage cluster. I'm going through the same things only mine won't start sometimes. I'm fairly sure mines the bcm, I've eleminated everything else on the list except for the wires going to the bcm which could be possible too.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Jon

Setting the PACE of the new generation.

Not sure whats going on... My car did that once but it was when i first got it and it has never done it since.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM

I've experienced the same thing multiple times in my Monte (04 SS). Power seems to fail for less than a second. Radio cuts out, gauges flicker, etc then everything starts coming back on like you just got into the car and started it. In my case, the SECURITY light will stay on after the other warning lights go out.

I've noticed this seems to happen more frequently on long drives or in wet weather. I suspect there is a connection being bridged somewhere.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:06 PM

1 Year Member

Mines been doing it more and more frequently lately. Today it wouldn't start for a couple tries, then finnaly it did. But when it turns on the battery light comes on and the battery gauge goes all the way up to 18, stays there for a bit, then goes down to 8??

Are BCMs expensive to replace?

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 AM

The price of a body control module if you were to buy it online is aprox $156.00...at the dealer they go for aprox $236.00....You will need the Chevy dealer to program the BCM for your particular vehicle or it will not start if you install it yourself under your dash. It needs to be programmed at the dealership and they charge about an hour or so labor for the programming.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:40 PM

1 Year Member

Brought my monte into the dealership today...$279 for them to check it and to take out my viper alarm and remote start, apparently that's what was wrong. Dang it alll!! That's $650 bucks I've put into my car in the past weekk..The things running me dry! lol

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Thats only the beginning of your problems with a GM product! Wait till you have to replace your upper and lower intake gaskets because of GM using cheap quality materials....In time you will also have to replace your plastic coolant tubes which run underneath your belt tensioner into your intake manifold because they are made of a composite plastic and crack or break and you will leak coolant....valve cover gaskets also begin to leak because of cheap gasket materials GM used......shall i go on??...be prepared to spend a lot more on it as time goes on!!

Old 06-05-2011, 12:38 AM

Ah, the electrical issues the 6th Gens can have.. I've never had anything major like that happen, but my Dome lights sometimes don't want to come on when I open one of the doors.. (mainly passenger side; only did it once on the driver's side, and that was at night..) If you close and reopen the door, then the lights come back on. Also, the radio spits out my CD sometimes..

Also, GM has their good cars and their bad cars- anybody remember the Chevy Chevette, Cadillac Cimmaron or the infamous Oldsmobile diesel engines of the early '80s? My Monte is built like a Swiss watch compared to those. I'm also glad that when I had my '82 Olds 98, it just had the regular 307 V8 engine in it. My parents couldn't stand the Diesel cars of that era. Not to mention, they had a V6 option as well.. Imagine pushing a 4200 lb vehicle with an engine that went from 0-60 in what seemed like 30 seconds..

Old 06-05-2011, 10:15 PM

1 Year Member

I drove my monte to the lake today, it decided to do the same thing again. Then, as I was getting ready to leave, it wouldn't turn on...Awesome...Taking it to the dealer tomorrow or on Tuesday. I love my monte, but I am getting so sick of all theser repairs!!! AHHH!!

Quick Reply: Possesed Monte???