Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Please help rack or powersteering

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 AM
1 Year Member
Default Please help rack or powersteering

Last night i was getting ready to leave work at 1am and when I started to move I hear a loud click noise and lost my power steering I can turn when I moving but slows speeds I gotta man handle my fluid is full and belt is on sometimes the pump makes a noise when I move the wheel.

Last edited by 02paceSS; 03-01-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 AM

My buddy just had this very problem with his '03.. Turned out to be his power steering pump. His dad was "moving" the car from one side of the street to another but it was stuck and when he was done Nate had no power steering.

His power steering fluid was full and his belt was on and the fluid wasn't burnt.

P.S. You didn't let Scott move your car did you? LOL That's in case Nate reads this.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:07 AM
1 Year Member

LOL thanks buddy that's what I was hoping to hear im pretty sure its the pump I was just worried because I didnt see it showing any symptoms on going bad and the loud click noise made me think it was more serious than a pump I haven't got a chance to look at it yet was going to change it tomorrow but my area is getting ready to be hit with a winter storm.it looks hard to get to though can you explain the process? thanks again

Old 03-02-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by 02paceSS
LOL thanks buddy that's what I was hoping to hear im pretty sure its the pump I was just worried because I didnt see it showing any symptoms on going bad and the loud click noise made me think it was more serious than a pump I haven't got a chance to look at it yet was going to change it tomorrow but my area is getting ready to be hit with a winter storm.it looks hard to get to though can you explain the process? thanks again
Actually I am not familiar with changing one I only know that Nate changed his on his '03 LS and it wasn't that hard from he told me. I have an '01 SS and it looks like its buried in the back of the engine under the alternator by the firewall.

I know Nates was like right on top in the back so the process will vary greatly between the LS and the SS.

One great thing about this forum is these guys have a write up on EVERYTHING. LOL Here is the removal process of the pump on an SS.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...removal-17161/

Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Depending on the mileage...
Fluid viscosity does wear down over time... A lot of times by many people ignore or don't even consider changing the power steering fluid...
Thus causing it to fail... Maybe ...This is what's going on with yours? Just a thought...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 03-02-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM
1 Year Member

thanks for all the help.it has new fluid I changed it about 2000 miles ago.as soon as the weather clears up I will change the pump. The write up was very helpful.thanks

Last edited by 02paceSS; 03-02-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 PM
1 Year Member

finally changed the power steering pump it was not a fun job very aggravating after I got that fixed I noticed the trans line was leaking from the silver fitting on the rubber I snipped it off and put a hose clamp in its place because a new line is 30 bucks and only napa could get the line.thanks again for that write up

Old 03-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah another successful repair done! Glad you were able to do it yourself and save a few bucks in the process. Good catch on the tranny line, like the field expediant repair you did!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:20 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks im happy I was able to do the fix this forum is very helpful.im trying to learn everything about my monte because im going to keep her forever.finally bought an airbag with the money I saved

Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by 02paceSS
Thanks im happy I was able to do the fix this forum is very helpful.im trying to learn everything about my monte because im going to keep her forever.finally bought an airbag with the money I saved
Yeah these guys and this forum have saved me a TON of money.

I actually had a flexplate/flywheel go out and wouldn't have known where to begin. One of the guys on here wrote up a detailed write up on what to take apart and how to begin. I got with a buddy who knows his way around a car pretty good and we changed out the flexplate/flywheel.

Quick Reply: Please help rack or powersteering