Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Phantom 'cracks' in headlight? Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM
1 Year Member
Default Phantom 'cracks' in headlight? Help

I had tried to move away from using VHT nightshades on my headlights since I didn't like how they would not last very long. I used some vinyl tint and applied it on the cleaned light with soap + water and a heat gun like you're supposed to. It was too light, so I took it off and when I did, it left behind some of itself in random clusters. I couldn't pick it off, it was hardened into the plastic. Eventually I used a whole lens cleaner kit (intended for removing oxidation). I sanded the crap out of it, buffed it, and it felt and appeared as though the residue was gone. But as soon as I sprayed it with nightshades it not only reappeared, but in a completely different pattern than before. The plastic itself is not cracked.

WTH has happened and how do I fix it? I've used Dupli-color paint thinner and spray-paint remover as well an I'm afraid it's ruined and I have no choice but to get a new one. Some help please before I throw in the towel?

Pic related. What it looked like ONLY after the spray went on. Before that it was crystal clear and smooth and this did not exist:

Edit: or if anyone has a spare driver's side headlight for cheap...

Last edited by milrlyt; 10-08-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM

..I sure don't know how to help you & I hope one of our member's like Mike(JG) see's your post & problem ?

I kinda like the new limited edition special design on your headlight `if it doesn't change your driving view ?

To me it looks like lightning in the night skies

Good Luck on getting the way U want them 2 `be

Last edited by Space; 10-08-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 AM
1 Year Member

LOL it's only on the orange reflector part on the driver's side. If it matched on the other one maybe I could claim it was on purpose

Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM

..Maybe you could `go to Pep Boys & ask some of their expert personnel what 2 `do ~>, Oh, that's right you work there ~>

I do hope one of our member's can help or give you some advice on this problem. I can't remember it ever coming `up b-4 on the MCF...We are keeping your thread active, so I hope a member see's it that maybe able to help ~ > Good Luck
I couldn't help

Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It looks to me like a prep problem , Like it wasn't clean ..

Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

There are a few reasons why this is happening. One is a reaction of the new paint to the old paint. Another can be contaminates. (Silicon spray is really really bad stuff with paint) Another reason is adhesion. There are adhesion promoters that you spray on first then apply your paint/primer. Another is the wrong type of paint.

My recommendation is to remove all existing paint down to bare plastic. Clean surface with a wax and grease remover.
On the plastic use the adhesion promotor

Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks Space. It seems that every time I try to DIY something or improve on an old job I did, something goes wrong. Why I haven't learned my lesson yet beats me Oh well. At least I have an excuse if it doesn't get resolved: "It's a special-edition lightning effect"

Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Blazed SS
There are a few reasons why this is happening. One is a reaction of the new paint to the old paint. Another can be contaminates. (Silicon spray is really really bad stuff with paint) Another reason is adhesion. There are adhesion promoters that you spray on first then apply your paint/primer. Another is the wrong type of paint.

My recommendation is to remove all existing paint down to bare plastic. Clean surface with a wax and grease remover.
On the plastic use the adhesion promotor
Unless I am misunderstanding you, I already explained that I did this above. What I don't understand is why, after I sanded it down so that it all disappeared, and thoroughly cleaned the light, it came back in a totally different pattern.

This is the third time I've sprayed my headlights and I've never had an issue before. My passenger side does not have this problem. It's not the VHT paint reaction. It only happened after I applied and then removed the vinyl tint. I need something that will remove whatever residue is stuck on the lens. All of the obvious (to me) solutions have not worked.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Rubbing Alcohol 90% any thing lower can leave residue
normally there are two issues, film thickness and substrate. If you "pile" on spray paint, you wind up trapping solvents in the paint film. As the surface of the film dries, or skins, the solvents trapped continued to work out to the atmosphere, but much slower than they were designed to do. As the solvent escapes, it causes the dried surface to shrink, wrinkle, or crack. The other condition is a substrate that traps the solvent, and reacts by swelling with this addition liquid, or it breaks down under the chemical property of the solvent. It can result with a cracking of the spray paint, even if it is applied in the proper thin coats.
My suggestion is to get new headlights it may be to deep to pull it back out .
These are the only reasons I know of why it would not work.

I hope it helps !!!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM

I know you dont like the head light but i kinda think it looks sweet

Quick Reply: Phantom 'cracks' in headlight? Help