Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Perfromance Programmers

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Perfromance Programmers

Seems like alot of money for a 20HP gain. But..........A worthy one. If/when I get the rest of my cheaper mods done I'll have to start looking at headers and other more expensive mods. I'll have to dig up some dyno stats on header stuff for our Monte's.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass

Seems like alot of money for a 20HP gain. But..........A worthy one. If/when I get the rest of my cheaper mods done I'll have to start looking at headers and other more expensive mods. I'll have to dig up some dyno stats on header stuff for our Monte's.
[&:]

People pay more than $450 for a catback that gives what, 5-10hp?

But yeah, share what you find, if you don't mind, I'd be interested to see some results in black and white as well.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:21 AM

montejass has very good ideas. When I was younger I owned a 96 eagle Talon ESI. ESI's had only 140hp while the TSI's had the amazing 210hp. I wish I would of been able to afford the TSI but could't, so I optted for add on's. I installed a catback, headers, cold air intake but that was it. I loved the extra boost. I jumped from 120 mph to 125 mph, not sure of 0-60 but to me not very significant. Speed is what I would like to gain with out adding too much mods. Wish I would of known of the DHP software. I like the idea of the trashing the restricted inflow and outflow, pretty much what I've done with my Talon. What I don't want to do is make my car loud! Right now the car rides and sounds like a Cadillac, smooth and quite. I thought a Catback but would demise my sound, but a less restricted intake sounds about right. Ok, so if I were to get an air intake, a high flow catalitic, and use the muffs that I have could that add some extra flow? I would love to get a higher flow exhaust but do not want to make it loud. Trust me I like watching NASCAR but I don't want it to sound like one.
Thanks for the replys,
Roland

Old 08-10-2005, 02:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Rollin
I thought a Catback but would demise my sound, but a less restricted intake sounds about right. Ok, so if I were to get an air intake, a high flow catalitic, and use the muffs that I have could that add some extra flow? I would love to get a higher flow exhaust but do not want to make it loud. Trust me I like watching NASCAR but I don't want it to sound like one.
Thanks for the replys,
Roland
Borla's catback is very quiet, you might wanna look into one. I have DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers on my car and it's barely noticeable in the cabin. Of course replacing the intake would increase the amount of air intake, but I doubt replacing the cat would do much since the stock exhaust manifolds are so restrictive. Montejass has said many times that the oem mufflers flow pretty good so exhaust flow through them isn't an issue as much as sound is. Be warned though, the intake will be noticeable under acceleration.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:44 AM
Default RE: Performance Programmers

I hear what you're saying 04MonteLS. I would like to get some headers on my car along with the other mods I have mentioned but how much faster can these other mods get me? If I can only go 110mph on flat land could this programmer, alone, get me past 120mph? I know now that as soon as I hit the 110mph mark the tranny shifts to low rpm. From what I've been reading the best hp is produced around 5000 rpms. As of now my car will down shift from 4800 rpm, at 110mph, then fold down to 3000 rpms. Because of this I lose valuable hp and it takes a hill going down to reach the 120's. With this could just a progrmmer, with shift limits, speed limits, and so on do the job? I believe the Monte has enough hp to do the job as long as these hurtles are adjusted.
Roland

Old 08-10-2005, 05:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Rollin

I hear what you're saying 04MonteLS. I would like to get some headers on my car along with the other mods I have mentioned but how much faster can these other mods get me? If I can only go 110mph on flat land could this programmer, alone, get me past 120mph? I know now that as soon as I hit the 110mph mark the tranny shifts to low rpm. From what I've been reading the best hp is produced around 5000 rpms. As of now my car will down shift from 4800 rpm, at 110mph, then fold down to 3000 rpms. Because of this I lose valuable hp and it takes a hill going down to reach the 120's. With this could just a progrmmer, with shift limits, speed limits, and so on do the job? I believe the Monte has enough hp to do the job as long as these hurtles are adjusted.
Roland
mickey got his Monte up to 183 mph, I think he'd be able to answer that better than me.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:31 AM

If top speed is what your after, just getting rid of the speed limiter will give you more than your willing to go. Our Monte's (SS 3.8L) should be good for 150 at bare min. I've seen 135 and that was enough for me, for now anyway..lol Even at 135 it had more power.

MonteLS was correct, our mufflers are no more restrictive than flows...

I think you'll be happy with DHP...

Old 08-10-2005, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass

MonteLS was correct, our mufflers are no more restrictive than flows...
I was just quoting you, I had no clue they were so free flowing until you mentioned it.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the help montejass and 04MonteLS. This helped alot and might save me a roll of money. I'll stick with the programmer for now and see how it works. When I get it, next month, I'll post it and let you know how it works. I have a feeling that I'm going to be happy with just this mod.
Roland

Old 08-10-2005, 04:05 PM

Now keep in mind that I have not heard that for the LS and have only heard this for the SS. I wonder if they have the same muffler....

Quick Reply: Perfromance Programmers