Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Perfromance Programmers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Default Perfromance Programmers

I've just bought a 2000 Monte Carlo SS (no supercharger) and was wondering if there is a perfromance programmer out there that will work on my car? All I know of is Hypertech. I called them and asked for one but told me they don't have one for the year 2000 SS, but do for 2001 to present. So is there another one that someone is using or knows of someone that has the same year as my Monte? I know of chips but you can't adjust Rev, shiftpoints and so on. Thanks for replying to this post, I'm pulling my hair out lookin on the net and calling for info.
Thanks,
Roland

Old 08-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Default RE: Perfromance Programmers

Hello Roland, welcome to the forum...

DHP is another really good software as I have heard. You'll need a PC that you can take out to your car though which can be a PITA if you dont have a laptop. You can find it at http://www.zzperformance.com/

Old 08-05-2005, 09:55 PM

Thanks, montejass. I checked out the site and looks like it could cost a good coin. I wish Hypertech had a programmer for my year of car. Is there a less expensive rout to adjusting rev. limits, and speed limits?, maybe a plug in performance chip. I've been looking at Jetchips but I'm unsure of its performance. I do like the cost, about $200 less. What I really want to do is increase my top end speed. Right now my car gets to 110mph and then dogs out. I know 110 is fairly fast but what got me interested is I have a buddy that can pass me in his F150. This is embarassing as hell!! Don't get me wrong flying by him on the Interstate is a good feeling but the sooner I get to that 100mph mark he starts to gain some speed. What makes it worse its a Ford pickup. If anyting, I could go the $400 route but why if there is something else out there that is cheaper. Besides I wouldn't have to listen about it from my wife for a month.
Thanks

Old 08-06-2005, 03:49 AM

I went with a PCM custom tune from Jesse at http://www.wait4meperformance.com

It was discussed a little here: https://montecarloforum.com/m_5034/tm.htm

Jesse will tune your PCM as you request. His standard tune does most of what you want, esp. removing the speed limiter. Cost is $150 you keep the core. $75 if you send him back he core. For that price you can expect an increase of 20-30 HP. That includes retuning for life with same day turn-around.

I also have an 00 MC no SC. No other major mods yet. K&N drop in filter and exhaust only. That is all Jesse recommends prior to the tune, intake and exhaust. Any thing else is gravy, just be sure to tell him of any mods when you order. Seat of the pants I can really tell the difference, and I don't drive it that much. It's the wifes ride. She rolled her eyes when I told her what I was going to do for her. But she quickly changed her "tune" (pun intended) after installation. Huge increase off-line. She did a 200 mile road trip day after the install and she came home telling me that I was trying to get her in trouble. She told me it was going to be very easy to get a ticket!

I have also purchased and installed in my 02 Sierra 5.3L and my sons 01 Silvy 4.8. All I'll say is Hot Damn. Very significant increase in performance for $150. It's not a turbo or SC, but for $150 it's pretty impressive. I had him take out most of the torque management on my truck, that really made the difference.

When I can keep my foot out of it, I also picked up 3 MPG on my Sierra. I'll admit that most of the time I can't keep my foot out of it and I still see same or slightly better MPG.

There is a lot of information on Jesse on other Chevy/GM type forums, most of which he is a member/sponser. Here are a few. Just do a search for wait4meperformance or browse the performance threads.
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/

Most of these forums are @trucks, but he can tune any GM 85 and up. I think you will be happy with the results. Also, he doesn't lock the tune, so if you do decide to get your own tune program you will be able to see what he did.

PS. In the other thread I stated that he had a sale going on. I was mistaken, The $75/$150 is his every day price. Don't have to worry about a sale ending in August. Don't know where I picked that one up at, but I blew it.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:04 PM

Nice write up Scortch....

I think scorch is on the money in your case. DHP is nice because you can tweek your PCM at any time, but, with a chip that cheap to do the basics may be the best way to go for your situation. Who know's, Jesse may just even be better than the software. I may have to put him on the list of things to get just to see if there are better gains out of his programming.

What's better is that you can keep your core..

Old 08-08-2005, 11:36 PM

I looked at the options montejass and scortch had sent. I've done some research and have come to a conclusion in what I want. Best thing is I got my wife to agree with me! I'm going with the DHP Power Tuner. I would agree with tuning it yourselfe at anytime. I plan on owning my Monte for awhile and whant to bring some of it's true potenial out. Again, I'm not going to go crazy and start spending 200 there and 500 here but would like to add some mods that would help in this tuner. If you have some ideas that would be greeat.
Thanks for the reply I do appreciate it.
Roland

Old 08-08-2005, 11:52 PM

I think that's a great choice Roland.... I have the Hypertech programmer but have the DHP software on my want list... Let me know how you like it.

On to the supporting mods. The factory intake and out flow simply sux. Get a CAI fenderwell and open up the exhaust system I.E. mufflers, resonator replacement delete, U bend delete, high flow CAT.... Get rid of that screen in your throttle body. Run a lower temp stat. This list just gets more expensive from here...lol

Old 08-09-2005, 03:30 AM

ORIGINAL: montejass

I think that's a great choice Roland.... I have the Hypertech programmer but have the DHP software on my want list... Let me know how you like it.

On to the supporting mods. The factory intake and out flow simply sux. Get a CAI fenderwell and open up the exhaust system I.E. mufflers, resonator replacement delete, U bend delete, high flow CAT.... Get rid of that screen in your throttle body. Run a lower temp stat. This list just gets more expensive from here...lol
What does the DHP do that the Hypertech can't?

Why didn't you recommend headers given their ridiculous restrictiveness due to their "log" style oem exhaust manifold design? I've been told putting on headers is probably the most bang for your buck bolt on you can do to the Monte.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:03 AM

DHP will allow you to modify your PCM way more than Hypertech. You have more flexability to dial in the right combination of settings to get the most HP. Hypertech has generic programs for different fuel grades and I am sure they have it set to keep the engine out of the trouble zones. DHP will allow you to get closer to that line and above it.

I did not mention headers cause that fell over to the more expensive mods category IMO. But headers are a good addition. I don't think the gains are that great for our cars running headers but I could be wrong. Do you have any projected HP gains for headers?

Old 08-09-2005, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass

DHP will allow you to modify your PCM way more than Hypertech. You have more flexability to dial in the right combination of settings to get the most HP. Hypertech has generic programs for different fuel grades and I am sure they have it set to keep the engine out of the trouble zones. DHP will allow you to get closer to that line and above it.

I did not mention headers cause that fell over to the more expensive mods category IMO. But headers are a good addition. I don't think the gains are that great for our cars running headers but I could be wrong. Do you have any projected HP gains for headers?
Ah, I see.

I'm hearing approx. 20hp increase w/headers

Quick Reply: Perfromance Programmers