Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

PCM Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Default RE: PCM Upgrades

From everythign i have heard is they can not void your warrenty for useing after market parts. But if any damage happens dierctly to the result of said product you could be liabel for repairs.

Now on somethign like wha ti have it is plug and pla and htey have it set so that you cant hurt the car. So it is safer then one that you can go in and do things with.

I bought mine while it was inside fo the warrenty period.
I would just go back to stcok programming when i would take it in for stuff. As long as you do it a day or two before ten it will have time to catch any codes etc. that might be getting throwen.

But they have it with the box when you get it. to put the sticker on your car so tha thtey know the car has been reprogramed so they that they can see this in thier system and therfor the can hook it up knowing this so they dont try to repair it or repograme it.

so in short

No. But this dose not mean they wont try to get out of trying to pay for anything.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:40 PM

I have a question regarding the shift point setup on the Hypertech. Any recommendations on where to set the shift points? I have never screwed around with them on any car, but I hear they can make a load of difference on the feel of the car and the acceleration.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 AM

each car is diffrent on this it is hard to say. but the eaiest way to do it is to go to a track or someplace you know your alone.
start from a stop and watch the tach at wot. see where the car shifts and record it.
now you cant take those numbers and play witht them in you programmer.
take it up one-two miles perhour or down . etc.... till you get the best time out of the car.
Once you get the bes time then write those numbers down that you have it set at.
So if you have to bring it back to stock you will know what to reset it at

Old 02-01-2007, 02:59 AM

WELL! I got my Hypertech in the mail today, needless to say I was excited. I got around to working with it this evening only to get an error code. CODE 6D: CAL NOT FOUND was what it gave me, then it gave me a number to call, and then shut itself off. I tired it a few times, and got the same thing. Any suggestions.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:26 AM

sounds to me like you have a bad one? Mine hasent ever given me this code. so i cant help ya on it. other then to keep trying to call them and find out wha tthey are going to say about it.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:34 AM

I was hoping this would be a smooth thing, but thus far its starting bad. I left a message for Hypertech, since they were closed tonight. Hopefully they'll have something constructive for me. If this requires any money to fix this thing is going back very quickly.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:45 AM

yeha i hear ya. the thing you might check is on the box on the end make sure they sent you the one for your motor and not the SS. i knwo the 3.8 and the 3.4 are diffrent animals in the computers. Thsi could be the reason fo rthe code.

if this is the case you might see if you cna get a reprogramed version of your puter for it . then you can just change it out they are not hard to do about a 30min job if you have to tear apart the air box. and they are plug and play for the most part.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 PM

I checked it out, and it reads it's for the 2001-2005 Monte Carlo/Impala/Regal with the 3.8 SFI engine. The thing starts up its just the calibrations on the PCM that the things not registering. I'm waiting on a callback from Hypertech hopefully they won't just tell me to cough up 200 and send it to them. But I'll keep you all posted.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:06 PM

yeah if you have a 3.4 they are goign to tell you they cant help you. i hope this is not the case but i have run in to that on a few cars i have tried to help folks out with. they were 3.4 also.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:26 PM

Well Hypertech just told me to return it to the person I got it from, they told me that other than that it's a $250 service fee to return it, warranty it, and send out a new unit that will cover the programming in the PCM. Appearantly the code in my PCM doesn't match the code in the tuner and so the tuner would have to be recalibrated to recognize the new code. Oddly enough the person didn't offer any other suggestion like if he just didn't want to sell the product. I wasn't really impressed with the customer service.

Quick Reply: PCM Upgrades