Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

PCM Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Default PCM Upgrades

I'm looking to change the Downpipe on my 2005 LT. My problem is the O2 Simulators on the market do not work with my year car.

I'm trying to find a way to have the Rear O2 Sensor delete performed on my current PCM so I can avoid the SES light of doom.

However everyone is pointing me in the direction of a new upgraded PCM. My question is, what are the benefits of an upgraded PCM on a 2005 MC LT with a natural 3.8 (no superchager). Only engine mod is the K&N. Please advise if this is worth it, and which one on the market would be the best to go with, though they all seem to provide the same features.

Thanks!!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Default RE: PCM Upgrades

lol i was jsut talking about this in a diffrent thread . I have a hypertech i would be willing ot give up in favor of a diffrent type.

what they do for you?
the hypertech. (i have this one so i can talk more on it)
they will change your shift points in your transmission and you can do this to optimise your shift points.

it will also allow you to change the shift presures of the tranny , this will allow the car to shift faster for you.
It will remove the speed limitor in your car. so you could feasebly do the speedo.
it will allow you to tune for lower octane gas if you would want this .
it will allow you to change the rev limitors points so it will not red line Every if you dont want it to.

some years it will allow you to change the temp of when your fan comes on. i know on mine it didnt work or i didnt find it . so i dont know anything about it other then what the book says.

i would say this is the easiest one to use. you cant mess anythign up and it is litterly push yes or no for options.

Oh an dit will clear codes in your CPU also.
I paid 350.0 for mine threw Summit racing and it has been used with kid gloves . it is in great shape, If your interasted let me know .

there are others out there but if yo dont knwo what your doing in them or are not carefule i have heard you can screw up the car rather easily.
i would think that if you were carefule you could use any of them it is a matter of readding the destructions

Old 01-24-2007, 10:09 PM

Whats the asking price?

I like the ZZP one because it's not locked, and it comes preflashed with all the right codes.

I just don't know if it's worth it on a natural 3.8.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:42 PM

MY O2 SIMULATOR FROM ZZP (EASY PERFORMANCE) WORKS PERFECT ON MY 05 LT AND ALSO MY 01 SS

[IMG]local://upfiles/99/67EFA81B9E3D40B99B3DE59885568BF2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2007, 08:19 PM

OH REALLY.....I asked Zooomer at ZZP and he told me it would NOT work. Did you have to modify it to fit the connector or anything? I was told it simply wouldn't work.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:04 AM

mine is the natural aspirated 3.8 litter. i have a 03 SS!! the supper charged came out in 04 (missed it by15days)
is it worth it? yeah i think it was for what i could do with it just wish i could do more with it.
like i said somewhere else on the site. SURE!

it is a great version for the person who only wants to change the rev limiter. and the speed limiters on their car and the fuel they want to use.
is dose other things also. but it is limited to what you can do.

you cant change your spark rates, fuel pressure's etc.... thing of this sort you need a different version of a programmer. this is what i would like to have as i do plan on getting more in to the motor and this is what i would need to have done from the dealer if i dont have the programmer to do it.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:25 PM

The DHP kit has my eye, but my biggest fear with it, is that I don't want to ruin my car since I have NEVER tuned ANY car. I have never messed around with Tuning Software. The Hypertech seems like a nice plug and play option, and seems to fix the little things I want done on the car, such as tightening up the shifts, and fixing the tranny delays that seem to develope after installing a CAI.

Also the price difference. I can get a Hypertech for my car for about $170, as opposed to the $400 bucks on the DHP. Since I don't know how to play with tuning software this maybe where I go at least for now. My plan is to do the downpipe, and a cat back system if needed. Any suggestions?

Old 01-26-2007, 02:20 PM

i didint know of the dhp at the time i bought mine or i wolud have gotten it instead

Old 01-29-2007, 02:36 AM

when you buy a DHP powertuner you get access to a DHP only forum and there are many members who can answer your tuning questions. in addition to programs you can download to help you tune. even begining tuners who dont know anything of tuning can see improvement with these free programs. i have had my programer for about a year now and i didnt know the first thing about tuning when i got it. but i have learned so much from the forums and after using those programs you begin to learn what and how they modify your computer... and then you can start doing it yourself. im closing in on a near perfict tune! and have made a lot more power and getting better gas milage then ever.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:11 PM

Does these tuners avoid factory warranty?

Since on-star can look at my car anytime, can the tell if i have done something to change the computer?

Quick Reply: PCM Upgrades