Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

P.S Pulley broke again!!!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:31 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default P.S Pulley broke again!!!

Over the weekend I was driving and hear a noise something that sound like something had broke or came loose. So I pulled over(battery light comes on as I’m slowing down). I pop the hood and I see smoke and see the S belt has come off. I inspect it and it seems fine. So I decide to simply put it back on so I can atleast get it to a shop and off the side of the country road. That’s when I see the power steering pulley is missing!i eventually find it sitting behind the motor. So I replace the pump and pulley on the side of the road. Next day I drive with in a hour of driving(highway driving) the same thing happens again! Once again the belt is off and the pulley has broken. Anyone have a clue as to what’s causing this?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

I googled this issue and this was a response that made some sense.
Happened to this person twice as well.
When you replaced the PS pump was it a new or rebuilt one?
Maybe the alignment of it was off some or you could have a tensioner seizing up also.

You might also try going to youtube and putting in the same request.
The following is the answer I found, hope it helps some.

Kinda hard to determine the problem without actually looking at it. but , What was the original problem? Was it a broken pulley? Was it a bad P.S pump. If it was a bad pump and was replaced and then the pulley broke, then look for pulley alignment, broken power steering mounting brackets,loose bolts or missing, dose the pump spin free? Usually the pulley doesn't brake when the belt comes off, even if it were to wrap around it. Replacing a power steering pump is a delicate job , need proper tools to pull the pulley off and a different one to install it back on. When it is installed back on it has to be in the proper position so when the belt is installed it will be aligned. The pulley could of been broken while it was being installed with out the proper tools. If a hammer was used that could of done it. If the person doing it didn't see it, it could o f been cracked. Is the pulley cast Iron? I would go to another mechanic and let him look at it ,pulleys do not normally break good luck

Old 02-01-2018, 07:59 AM

Very odd that 2 pulley's broke in that little time. When you replaced the pump did it already have the pulley on it or did you put it on ? Wouldn't think it was a alignment issue considering it only has 3 bolt's that go thru the pulley. Kinda hard to tell from picture but ,was it a new or used replacement pump ? And as Driver#3 suggested check the tensioner .

Old 02-01-2018, 09:18 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

It was a brand new pump and pulley. The pulley was pressed on to the pump. If the tension was the issue wouldn’t it be affecting other pulleys? Also if the alignment was off wouldn’t it damage the actual belt before the pulley? The pump and pulley is under warranty but scared to replace it again without figuring out the cause.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Also the pulley itself wasn’t damaged! What caused it to come off was the bolt/shaft that comes attached to the pump broke off. The bolt/shaft that the pulley is pressed onto that’s what broke causing the pulley to come off. That’s what cause me to replace the first pump. Again the pulley itself wasn’t damaged it was the shaft that snapped off

Old 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

I know there is only one way usually to thread the S Belt, but you maybe want to double check that, might be another pulley that is seizing up and causing this one to break too.
Could be that the folks that manufactured the pump got some bad shafts for the pulleys, they could be brittle and when there is some pressure applied they break off. Good that it is under warranties but its a pain to need to redo all the time.
Reminds me of a poster I saw once ( it said just remember your weapon was made by the cheapest bidder) it had to do with military going into war.

Search this Thread