Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Does your system make a gurgling sound right after you shut off your engine? Usually a bad cap, read you have a new one, could be a poor seal

Do you still have your air damn attached under the chin of the car, these are critical to insure air is scooped up and channeled up and onto the radiators front side.

Also if the A/C condensor has not been cleaned it might be something to look at as the fins fill with bugs and such, then restrict the air flow going through your radiator.

Air entrapment is fairly easy to resolve with he T-Stat housing bleeder nut or park the passenger side of the front end up on a uphill side or a ramp etc. shut the car off while it is hot, remove the cap and it will bleed itself out while I cools.

You could also get a higher psi radiator cap to lower the boiling point.

I also have had the Impala "police" package HD radiator installed into my Monte.

While my Monte is in the shop it will be having this waterless coolant installed. Sams 875whp 07 Monte is running this in this cooling system too.

https://www.evanscoolant.com/

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 08-05-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Does your system make a gurgling sound right after you shut off your engine? Usually a bad cap, read you have a new one, could be a poor seal

Do you still have your air damn attached under the chin of the car, these are critical to insure air is scooped up and channeled up and onto the radiators front side.

Also if the A/C has not been cleaned it might be something to look at as the fins fill with bugs and such, then restrict the air flow going through your radiator.

Air entrapment is fairly easy to resolve with he T-Stat housing bleeder nut or park the passenger side of the front end up on a uphill side or a ramp etc. shut the car off while it is hot, remove the cap and it will bleed itself out while I cools.

You could also get a higher psi radiator cap to lower the boiling point.

I also have had the Impala "police" package HD radiator installed into my Monte.

While my Monte is in the shop it will be having this waterless coolant installed. Sams 875whp 07 Monte is running this in this cooling system too.

https://www.evanscoolant.com/
I actually took the air deflector off I guess it would help to put that back on and yeah before I took it to the mechanic I could hear the coolant bubbling. Since he bled it yesterday I haven't heard it but I'm going to take your advice and hopefully I can get the temperature to go even lower

Old 08-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by MonteMan23
I actually took the air deflector off I guess it would help to put that back on and yeah before I took it to the mechanic I could hear the coolant bubbling. Since he bled it yesterday I haven't heard it but I'm going to take your advice and hopefully I can get the temperature to go even lower
Smart move putting the air damn back on. My mechanic told me he has known of overheating issues that were resolved by having a missing air damn being replaced.

A higher psi cap will raise your coolants boiling point, a water wetter product (RedLine makes one) will also increase the coolants boiling point.

Pop off your new cap and see if the seal is not warped, ad it is equal to or greater than the factory rated psi cap.

The A/C condenser fins can become blocked with debris (bugs, leaves etc.) and restrict the flow of cool air through it and to the radiator behind it too.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 08-05-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:28 PM

Smart move putting the air damn back on. My mechanic told me he has known of overheating issues that were resolved by having a missing air damn being replaced.

A higher psi cap will raise your coolants boiling point, a water wetter product (RedLine makes one) will also increase the coolants boiling point.

Pop off your new cap and see if the seal is not warped, ad it is equal to or greater than the factory rated psi cap.

The A/C condenser fins can become blocked with debris (bugs, leaves etc.) and restrict the flow of cool air through it and to the radiator behind it too.
I don't know what the factory radiator caps psi was but the new one says 15 psi. I burped the system two more times and both times it seemed like it was getting rid of air and I even drove it a distance where it would usually got past the halfway mark and it didn't so I thought it was doing good. It went past it after a little while to the first line past halfway until all of a sudden it eventually raised in temperature and went to the line just before red. Now my check engine light is on so I'm hoping that could lead me to where the problem is and not end up being a blown gasket. I even took pictures of when the bubbles began to form when I was burping the system and when the coolant would come out with the bubbles and eventually sink back in as well.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:32 PM

I don't know what the factory radiator caps psi was but the new one says 15 psi. I burped the system two more times and both times it seemed like it was getting rid of air and I even drove it a distance where it would usually got past the halfway mark and it didn't so I thought it was doing good. It went past it after a little while to the first line past halfway until all of a sudden it eventually raised in temperature and went to the line just before red. Now my check engine light is on so I'm hoping that could lead me to where the problem is and not end up being a blown gasket. I even took pictures of when the bubbles began to form when I was burping the system and when the coolant would come out with the bubbles and eventually sink back in as well.
http://imgur.com/I7XMkzl
http://imgur.com/A8gUzhc

These are the links to the pictures I took

Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Is your water pump operational?

Could be a head gasket is failing too.

Have your trusted automotive shop check for a failing head gasket. My shop uses a strip of paper that turns colors if exhaust gases are present in your coolant.

There are other methods too, but look into it.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:18 AM

Is your water pump operational?

Could be a head gasket is failing too.

Have your trusted automotive shop check for a failing head gasket. My shop uses a strip of paper that turns colors if exhaust gases are present in your coolant.

There are other methods too, but look into it.
Just got the check engine light checked yep sadly it's the intake manifold gasket

Old 08-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Just got the check engine light checked yep sadly it's the intake manifold gasket
Well that is rotten news. However depending on your budget you can always do the quick fix with the liquid additives. I have twice successfully used the K-seal product. It gets rave reviews from other users too.

Look into it. Now how my Monte is built I would not use it, I would have to bite the bullet for a full on repair. But if your is a daily driver and your wanting to keep it on the road and do a quick inexpensive repair, I would use the K-Seal. Did it on a cracked block and my trucks lower intake manifold and everything is holding up just fine.

https://www.kseal.com/

Old 08-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Well that is rotten news. However depending on your budget you can always do the quick fix with the liquid additives. I have twice successfully used the K-seal product. It gets rave reviews from other users too.

Look into it. Now how my Monte is built I would not use it, I would have to bite the bullet for a full on repair. But if your is a daily driver and your wanting to keep it on the road and do a quick inexpensive repair, I would use the K-Seal. Did it on a cracked block and my trucks lower intake manifold and everything is holding up just fine.

https://www.kseal.com/
Would it hold up permanently tho or is it just temporary until I get the repair ?

Old 08-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Would it hold up permanently tho or is it just temporary until I get the repair ?
It is marketed as a permanent repair. The Cavalier cracked block is still running strong 2 years later. My truck I just did about 2 months back and it is doing just fine. Read the web sites info and customer reviews on other sites. I could not be happier with its performance.

https://www.kseal.com/ Read their product information here.