Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Default Overheating issues

On my way home from work Friday aroubd 4:30pm I had the most scary incident I can think happen. I was about home and noticed the A/C was not blowing as cold as it should. The temp looked fine. So I thought because it was hot out it was taking a little longer to cool down. As I was exiting the highway, and could NOT turn my wheels to make the slight left... Doing 40mph and heading straight for the rail. I applied my brakes slow (motorcycle training helped me there), turned the A/C off, switched to the heater (temp was geting hot for my liking), and gave my all to make the left curve. At the last minute, my wheels turned with ease. The battery light flashed on and I coasted around tell I could get off the road.

Made it to a Taco Bell, shaking like a leaf in a wild wind storm, parked the car, turned the motor off, kept the heater going to get the temp down. Called my husband to come save me. He gets to where I was, looked under the hood and guess what??? The plastic heater core elbow again!! It has been less then a year the first ones broke. Got the car towed home, replaced the plastic elbows with Aluminium ones, fresh new thermostat and coolant.

Here is my qustestion. My car would always stay at the line past the half way mark on the temp. Now I got the A/C fixed, it runs a line or two past the orginal temp. Even after the above story, better thermostat then stock (both times the elvows broke). I am now scared to run the A/C. Coolant is full and there are no leaks. What could it be?? I am about to say forget it and part ways with the car. It has 107k miles and it is an 05.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 AM

Sorry to read about your problem...Has your water pump ever been replaced ? Has your coolant system been flushed ?

I can't see you temp gauge, but as long as you are not running hot you shouldn't have any problems.

Please check back to see what other's member's post/share..
Good Luck

Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS Monte
On my way home from work Friday aroubd 4:30pm I had the most scary incident I can think happen. I was about home and noticed the A/C was not blowing as cold as it should. The temp looked fine. So I thought because it was hot out it was taking a little longer to cool down. As I was exiting the highway, and could NOT turn my wheels to make the slight left... Doing 40mph and heading straight for the rail. I applied my brakes slow (motorcycle training helped me there), turned the A/C off, switched to the heater (temp was geting hot for my liking), and gave my all to make the left curve. At the last minute, my wheels turned with ease. The battery light flashed on and I coasted around tell I could get off the road.

Made it to a Taco Bell, shaking like a leaf in a wild wind storm, parked the car, turned the motor off, kept the heater going to get the temp down. Called my husband to come save me. He gets to where I was, looked under the hood and guess what??? The plastic heater core elbow again!! It has been less then a year the first ones broke. Got the car towed home, replaced the plastic elbows with Aluminium ones, fresh new thermostat and coolant.

Here is my qustestion. My car would always stay at the line past the half way mark on the temp. Now I got the A/C fixed, it runs a line or two past the orginal temp. Even after the above story, better thermostat then stock (both times the elvows broke). I am now scared to run the A/C. Coolant is full and there are no leaks. What could it be?? I am about to say forget it and part ways with the car. It has 107k miles and it is an 05.
What temp Thermostat are you using? When was the last time you did a through flush of the system? To keep our Montes running efficiently I would recommend flushing the system every cpl yrs.(But that's just me)
You may need to also have the Fans checked to see that there comeing on at the proper temps! Generally when you turn on your AC the fans should come on intermittently... they usually come on when the AC is set on Max!

It almost sounds to me like a fan issue....
But you also mentioned that this is the 2nd time in a year that you have replaced the elbows... IMO.. It sounds like you need to flush the system...
As anti freeze breaks down it turns to an Acid base type fluid...Thus causeing the deterioration of the O-rings/Elbows!

The higher temps may also be caused from all of the air in the system not getting bled out completely the last time you changed the o-ring/elbows... (Just a thought)...

I hope this helps resolve your problem...
I'm sure another member may have other solutions/ideas to help you out.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Another thing to add would be get a radiator pressure test, may e you also leaking coolant some where that isn't instantly visable

Old 08-25-2013, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the info. We did a full system flush less then a year ago when the first elbows blew. The second one blew at the seam where it was made. Spraying coolant on the belts, causing them to slip. We reaplced the plastic elbows with the aluminium ones. The thermostat is to open up at 180digrees. We wanted to put one in that opened up at 160 from a preformace place but they did not have one.

I will do the fan check before I head into town. Thanks again for the info.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:25 PM

I would put a drilled 180* thermostat in it, it will over all run much cooler. Do not put a 160 in it that is too cool for a stock car.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the help. After replacing the second set of elbows and what not, the car still ran hot. On our way out of town, the A/C decided to act up and only blow cold air on the passenger side. We checked all fuses and everything we could think of still nothing. That was the last straw. We ended up trading the S-Charged that same day for a much better, reliable and safer car.

Thanks again to all who have helped with the issues we had with the S-Charged.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Curious as to what vehicle you have now?

Even if its not a Monte Carlo...
We hope you remain a Monte Carlo forum Super charged chick.
and continue to join us!

Pls feel free to join in on our daily blog as well...

Old 10-16-2013, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Curious as to what vehicle you have now?

Even if its not a Monte Carlo...
We hope you remain a Monte Carlo forum Super charged chick.
and continue to join us!

Pls feel free to join in on our daily blog as well...
We went out and traded the S-Charged for a 2006 Lexus IS350. We are in NO way preppy people. I had never driven a Lexus tell I took a IS250 out. It was fun but I needed a little more get up so we went with the IS350. I wanted rear wheel drive (front wheel drive was getting old), four doors (we take care of my mother in law) and something a little more zippy.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 PM

The temp not switching would be the blend door motor I'm guessing, and as for it overheating I'm thinking the cooling fans aren't working, when I have my air on and its warm enough the fans run non stop on high. Good luck with your new car though.

Quick Reply: Overheating issues