Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Over heating problems in my 3800 please help me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Arrow Over heating problems in my 3800 please help me...

the driver side fan in my 2002 ss is no long working i have to keep a/c running so the right side fan can keep engine cool . but when the a/c is off the car over heats a little so can some one tell me if its the riley thats bad or do i have to change the whole fan system also there is a lot of pressure in both hose i think thermostat might be bad also . can some one please help me.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 PM

Your radiator and heater hoses will be tight because they are under pressure when you engine is at operating temperatures. This is normal. Your antifreeze at the overflow bottle should be at the "hot" level. I would replace the fan relay that supports the non-working fan as you indicated only 1 fan works.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by fastback4
your radiator and heater hoses will be tight because they are under pressure when you engine is at operating temperatures. This is normal. Your antifreeze at the overflow bottle should be at the "hot" level. I would replace the fan relay that supports the non-working fan as you indicated only 1 fan works.
yes ok i wil go ahead and replace the relay for that fan to see happens thanks .

Old 05-26-2011, 06:03 PM

OK so I have a similar problem ... a couple months ago I realized my car was over heating while in traffic ... first thing I did was check the fuses nothing was blown then i went to autozone and they were nice enough to loan me a relay so I could swap out one after the other and no changes. Then I bought fans and was going to replace them today but I wanted to get my ac working first so I replaced the high side port that was leaking and recharged the system and ac worked fine and was sitting in the parking lot idling and realized my temp wasn't going up so i popped the hood and both fans were running. So I'm a bit confused it seems to me it would be a sensor fuse or relay or g** forbid the pcm or bcm any one have this happen to them or have any ideas? its a 3.4L btw ... thanks in advance -Rob

Old 05-26-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by rtravers
OK so I have a similar problem ... a couple months ago I realized my car was over heating while in traffic ... first thing I did was check the fuses nothing was blown then i went to autozone and they were nice enough to loan me a relay so I could swap out one after the other and no changes. Then I bought fans and was going to replace them today but I wanted to get my ac working first so I replaced the high side port that was leaking and recharged the system and ac worked fine and was sitting in the parking lot idling and realized my temp wasn't going up so i popped the hood and both fans were running. So I'm a bit confused it seems to me it would be a sensor fuse or relay or g** forbid the pcm or bcm any one have this happen to them or have any ideas? its a 3.4L btw ... thanks in advance -Rob
thats kind of weird lol.....

Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 PM

did you replace your relay?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by rtravers
did you replace your relay?
i didnt have to replace them. they work fine but the guy at auto zone said the fan motor might be the problem. so what you guys think. i also replace the thermostat it was bad.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 AM

can you run power to the fan to test if its the motor or not?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
can you run power to the fan to test if its the motor or not?
yes auto zone told me to do the same thing you said now, im waiting for the motor to cool down a bit before i put my hands down there . they told me to switch the plug from the one that works to the one that dont work to see what happens.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:26 PM

thats a way to do it. i thought you could just run a 12 volt and ground the motor, but there way im sure is safer, and would also work.

Quick Reply: Over heating problems in my 3800 please help me...