Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Over heat surprise

Old 05-17-2016, 07:04 AM
Default Over heat surprise

Recently my Monte Carlo started to leak from the water and since even with the leak it never overheated. So the water pump has been changed and now it heats up to fast and even put in a new thermostat please some one tell what's going on and why

Old 05-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Did you bleed the air from the system through the bleader screw above the thermostat?
Do you have the proper 50/50 mix of coolant/distilled water?

How to bleed the air out: While the car is running and the engine up to full temperature so the thermostat is open,loosen the bleeder valve screw until a steady stream of coolant without air comes out. Close it, let the coolant circulate for a few minutes then re-open the valve till you get a steady stream of coolant only. Repeat this process until every time you open it there are no more air comes out the bleeder screw. Re-fill the coolant level at the overflow reservoir.

Last edited by plumbob; 05-17-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:12 PM

If not that what else could it possibly be

Old 05-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Arrow Keep checking back

Hi Monte`21,
What year Monte do you have & what engine ?

Who did the install on your water pump & thermostat ?

Was the proper thermostat purchased/installed ?

Did you already do what Member Plumb`Bob suggested above ? *(Thanks `Curt)

What else ?
Monte21If not that what else could it possibly be >?

How to Stop an Engine from Overheating: 12 Steps

If all else fails >

Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 PM

3.8 2002 and haven't tried it yet

Old 05-17-2016, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member

Could be many other things, but try that first.
Are you sure the leak was from the water pump? That problem is commonly mistaken for the notorious cracked plastic heater/coolant elbow (one of two) above the water pump. That elbow is hidden and is hard to see the fine spray from it which then drips down on the water pump making it look like the pump is leaking. Loss of coolant then causes overheating. If the elbow(s) are bad replace them with the aluminum ones by Dorman.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:46 PM

are you getting heat from the heater? I would double check to be sure the thermostat is installed correctly and bleed the air from the system like others have said. the water pump can only go on one way, the only other thing I can think of is maybe the serpentine belt may be around the water pump pully wrong ....check that belt routing too

Old 05-17-2016, 08:09 PM

Ok so I had let the engine idle then opened the bolt on the thermostat and let it run and it's still doing it so I'm still taking suggestions but what I plan to do is remove that coolant and try something else

Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member

The type of coolant, whether it's Dexcool or the green stuff shouldn't matter if there's enough of it and it's mixed at the proper ratio. Did the car overheat when the water pump went bad. If it did, you may have a head gasket leak. Another possibility is a clogged radiator. Does the radiator feel hot at the top and bottom when the engine is up to temp? Can you feel the upper radiator hose harden with pressure?

Old 05-18-2016, 06:28 AM

Never has the car overheated when the old pump was on

Search this Thread