Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Noise from fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Default Noise from fan

Hey,

I couldn't find anything in the search so, Over the last week or so when I'm driving down the road I will get a squealing sound coming from my car, I've got it down to that it's on the right side, and it's in the fan ducts (the inside ones, for keeping my warm lol), and It'll keep doing it and cut the air coming through it on and off. It also only does it on the one setting (so it seems) the setting for Face&feet (second one), it doesn't do it for the other settings.

So my guess was that it has to do with whatever controls the fans, to make them move, or possibly a fan itself?, How hard would it be to change? or did anyone have the exact same thing happen to them?.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Default RE: Noise from fan

Most likely the blower motor is making noise.. it would be on the right side under dash. The bearings are probably shot. More noticable at low speed. Shouldn't be too bad to replace.. It might burn out the resistor block soon because its taking more power to turn on the bad bearings. So you might start loosing fan speeds if it isn't replaced soon. Only calls for 1/2 hr in the labor guide. Mitchell is down so i can't give you directions to take out,but they are usually easy and any haynes manual will give you help.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 AM

my blower motor used to intermitently make noise too... it also used to have water leak, getting the passenger side floor wet when it rained... i had noticed the blower noise long before i ever noticed a water leak, and i was about to replace my annoying blower motor when i discovered the water. it was leaking under the windshield cowl, to the hvac air inlet, and dripping out around the blower motor.

about a week after fixing the water leak was the last i ever heard an ill sound from that same blower motor that is still in my car.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:45 AM

I'm having the exact same problem with my car. Does yours make the squealing sound mainly when you hit small bumps on the highway, or when you make right turns? And, if you live in a place where its cold, when you leave your car outside in the cold for a while does the fan make a really loud whining sound when you turn the car on, but then it stops if you crank the fan way up, turn the fan off, then turn it back on again? That's what mine has been doing anyway. I've had the problem since I got the car and haven't ever gotten the ambition to check it out, but I plan on pulling the dash to take a look at it some time this weekend when I drive over to my shop. It's probably bad bearings but with any luck it isn't the bearings and I can just spray a little teflon lube on there to get it to stop squeaking. But if it is the bearings, does anyone know how much a new set costs?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM

To check the motor out you shouldn't need to take apart the dash.. its probably held in by three or four bolts underneath the dash

Old 01-25-2008, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: wroeber_55

I'm having the exact same problem with my car. Does yours make the squealing sound mainly when you hit small bumps on the highway, or when you make right turns? And, if you live in a place where its cold, when you leave your car outside in the cold for a while does the fan make a really loud whining sound when you turn the car on, but then it stops if you crank the fan way up, turn the fan off, then turn it back on again? That's what mine has been doing anyway. I've had the problem since I got the car and haven't ever gotten the ambition to check it out, but I plan on pulling the dash to take a look at it some time this weekend when I drive over to my shop. It's probably bad bearings but with any luck it isn't the bearings and I can just spray a little teflon lube on there to get it to stop squeaking. But if it is the bearings, does anyone know how much a new set costs?
Yep, it only seems to happen when I hit a bump a certain way, and Yes i get a noise when turning right. I also had the problem with the water on the passenger side about 2 months ago, it happened once and hasn't happened since.

I was looking on ebay and a new one is about $70-$80, but a GM OEM was $155 on ebay .... so it looks like it's aftermarket for me

Does anyone have an exact location of the blower motor? I'll look where 1977Monte said, but does someone have a schmatic or something? thanks

Old 01-25-2008, 04:06 PM

as crazy as this sounds is make sure you dont have something in the ventsl like a peics of plastic etc.. as a smoker(no longer) I actually had the plastic off the pack get sucked up in there and made one #$^%@#$% of a squealing noise.
Drove me nuts till i figured it out.

SO why your there make sure it is not something like this .

Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Epic

ORIGINAL: wroeber_55

Yep, it only seems to happen when I hit a bump a certain way, and Yes i get a noise when turning right. I also had the problem with the water on the passenger side about 2 months ago, it happened once and hasn't happened since.

I was looking on ebay and a new one is about $70-$80, but a GM OEM was $155 on ebay .... so it looks like it's aftermarket for me

Does anyone have an exact location of the blower motor? I'll look where 1977Monte said, but does someone have a schmatic or something? thanks
What did you type in for the search on eBay? Sounds like i'll be going aftermarket too.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:29 AM

I just typed in "Monte Carlo Blower" i think and that's where they came up

Old 02-02-2008, 03:44 PM

OK, I found it; that's what I'll probably do. Have you gotten yours yet? If you did, then how hard was it to put in and did it fix the problem?

Quick Reply: Noise from fan