Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): No Start? New Key Cyl. & Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default No Start? New Key Cyl. & Switch

Back Again! Appreciate the Help on the Exploding Upper Intake. Works Great... Now... Just started this No-Start a week ago, Left me stranded in parking lot. Glad it was Me and Not the Wife.... or I would have slept in the Monte for 2 days......
I have read most all the post.... Here is my issue...
**Monte will not start. It began with starter drag for 2 Days.. Then nothing... Tried jumping , New Battery etc. No Clicks - nothing.... All lights on dash light up, Battery strong and new.
I have replaced; Ignition Switch & Key Cylinder (All), I have gone thru the Security Re-Learn process 2 -3 times... Nothing. I Have Not checked the starter etc. Big problem on jacking car up at home ( HOA ) So want to dig around here and see if anyone has had this issue before I start Jacking.....
Then on to the the '06 Denali.... Seat stuck back in Rear Position and Wife has Stubby Legs...... Whew. Any help there too..... ( Not on the Wife's Beautiful Stubby Legs). Thx, "TUG"
2001 Monte Carlo SS

Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 AM

If you had starter drag, then the brushes were wearing out and it sounds like the culprit. If you attempt to start the car with the head lights on and they do not dim that is almost 100% the problem (starter).

Old 02-25-2018, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member

I would still get a Click or ? if brushes were gone, right? Can't remember if they dimmed or not.But I did check the Relay's, fuses, wire connections that can be found, tried park / neutral. trying the 3 time start security again. Sold my Xtra Batt. charger for $5. in yard sale now mine is #*^!%%&% ! So I unhooked the lights for longer power....
Man I hate these Computered Cars.... Miss my ol' 65,68 and 442! But I do like this one too! When it runs it still turns Eyes... Last of the Big Body 2dr Sportys....

Old 02-25-2018, 12:46 PM

Well, if no sound at all could just be the starter solenoid which is still better to replace them both at once since a new starter comes with both installed. It is not that bad of an installation. I agree with you. The older non computerized engines were easier to work on.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SuperchargedMonte
Well, if no sound at all could just be the starter solenoid which is still better to replace them both at once since a new starter comes with both installed. It is not that bad of an installation. I agree with you. The older non computerized engines were easier to work on.

"STARTER", Drive Gear / Pinion, Bendix . Was bad. Could move it back and forth. Just not sure Why No Noise and Batt. Running down. So New, Ign. Switch, And Key Cylinder (Re-Key) Later. New Starter and 2 Month old "Battry"

Roll'n!

Thanks SuperC!
Tug

Old 03-01-2018, 08:09 PM

Great! Always nice to know another Monte is back on the road

Old 03-10-2018, 03:27 PM

Any one have a issue with no dash lights or security light. And if the key is in the on position the car will crank over at anytime