Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): No start on a '02 MC SS w/41K

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default No start on a '02 MC SS w/41K

Car has been running great lately but this morning I turned the key and no start/no sound. I turned the key off and on and it started as usual, almost made me question if it really happened. This afternoon, the same thing but I had to turn the key three times. The third time I held it and the car started after about 4 seconds. The ignition switch is about a month old. Any tips? Check the ground underneath the air intake? Any typical solutions?

Old 05-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a defective ignition switch, or bad wiring connection to it. I think I'd be going after a part warranty claim. Is the replacement ACDelco or aftermarket. I have heard of problems with aftermarket switches. I prefer to stick with OEM (ACDelco) when it comes to electronic components on our cars. Age has more impact on degradation of the switch than mileage, and I would guess with mileage that low there's a lot of city miles on the car, meaning shorter trips and more starts per mile. With mileage that low unless you live in the rust belt I would think grounds are OK unless a fastener came loose.

Please keep us posted

Last edited by plumbob; 05-18-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member

AAA is coming by to test the battery and alternator. The ignition switch I installed is a Dorman. Any problems with that manufacturer? The switch is under full warranty.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member

Not the Battery, Alternator, or Starter according to AAA. Most likely ignition or perhaps worn key/cylinder. Maybe wiring came loose from the back of the ignition switch? I know what I'll be doing this Saturday.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member

I've heard similar reports from members of the forum where the new switch went bad after a week or two. Installed by the dealer no less.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
Sounds like a defective ignition switch, or bad wiring connection to it. I think I'd be going after a part warranty claim. Is the replacement ACDelco or aftermarket. I have heard of problems with aftermarket switches. I prefer to stick with OEM (ACDelco) when it comes to electronic components on our cars. Age has more impact on degradation of the switch than mileage, and I would guess with mileage that low there's a lot of city miles on the car, meaning shorter trips and more starts per mile. With mileage that low unless you live in the rust belt I would think grounds are OK unless a fastener came loose.

Please keep us posted
I agree. I'm having a similar issue except mine was stolen last month and recovered the same day. But they did something to the ignition switch that is causing an issue similar to yours. A new ACDelco switch is the ticket.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member

The switch is under warranty however to go from a Dorman to an AC Delco, O'Rielly had to special order. Another store was an option but I want the credit so I'm waiting.

Why does the car start if I hold the switch in the on position for 5-10 seconds? That just strikes me as odd. The dash lights come on at odd times so I now its related to the ignition switch but the delayed start? I would have thought it would or it wouldn't.

Also have the recall scheduled for Thursday. I'll post pictures. Of course, I have to have the ignition switch in to drive to the dealership.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member

The reason the switch fails is due to burnt, worn, dirty or otherwise defective contacts (AKA points). The switch is very specific about the amount of voltage it receives and won't function if it is even a fraction of a volt off.
Another possibility is the chip in the ignition key cylinder (sold separately) is failing.

Here's a video about the switch:

Here's the ignition Lock Cylinder:

Last edited by plumbob; 05-24-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member

The AC Delco ignition switch is in and it starts right up! Nothing like wrenching in the dark. It went together last night and got me to work this morning. All's well that ends well.

I was tempted to swap out the key and cylinder. It's hard to tell but it looks like there may be some corrosion in in the cylinder. If this switch fails in a few months like the last, I'll change the cylinder. That didn't look like a job that was going to get done late at night.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member

Congrats! and thanks for the follow up.
You're on the right track, if the problem comes back replacing the lock cylinder would be the next step.