Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If the coil got extremely hot it may have fried. Some coils require a resistor/resistance wire to reduce the input voltage from 12v. To test secondary voltage output stick a Phillips screwdriver into the end of a plug wire, then hold it about 3/16" from the engine block while someone cranks the engine. If you have output you'll see a spark jump the gap. As long as you hold the plastic handle and don't touch the metal part of the screwdriver you won't get zapped.
interesting but i dont think this setup requires that. using that screwdriver method can i clamp my red to the shaft and ground the black to check the output voltage? only problem to that is i have no output energy, so i bought all new everything. maybe the center strip of rotor isnt connecting to the cap button.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I still think your coil is shot. Did you toss the OEM coil? If not, swap it in just to test. The other thing you can do is pull your coil and do a resistance check on it from input to output. If it reads low, close to or at Zero, it's shorted out. If it reads Infinite no matter what setting your meter is on, then it is open, burned out. Either of these readings means you got to get a new coil. Although I don't know what the reading should be, greater than 200 ohms but Way less than Infinite!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I still think your coil is shot. Did you toss the OEM coil? If not, swap it in just to test. The other thing you can do is pull your coil and do a resistance check on it from input to output. If it reads low, close to or at Zero, it's shorted out. If it reads Infinite no matter what setting your meter is on, then it is open, burned out. Either of these readings means you got to get a new coil. Although I don't know what the reading should be, greater than 200 ohms but Way less than Infinite!
Yeaa i tried that method also just for the hope of a result. I hauled it to the local mechanic yest. After a few hours he determined my brand new dist setup was a dud so I called and have another OTW. We will see wat happens from here. Thanks to all of yall for the input

Old 11-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hope the new New one isn't a Dud. Good Luck!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I hope the new New one isn't a Dud. Good Luck!
Thanks bro, new distributor came this morn. Never got a call yest and the shop is closed on weekends so Ima have it up there to my man Mon morn and get an information update. Hopefully this will be his response

Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM

Well i gotta call from the mechanic today to pick up the Monte. He got it running but didnt time it or nuthin for fear of accepting the responsibility of possible failure due to MY mechanicing work with the heads and all. Thats understandable to me. He said the module was burnt out in my old dist. so he put one in it and with my old dist got it started. Brand new one is still in the box (spare) He said the problem was the TACH wire?? he didnt plug it up when he first tried starting it and it ran, he then cut it off, checked everything, connected the TACH wire and no fire at all. Anyone ever heard of this? I bought the tach 4 months ago and it has been working fine.