Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

No mechanic, need a rough estimate of cost please

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:30 AM
Default No mechanic, need a rough estimate of cost please

I`m a new member and I'm the new owner of an 02' SS, I love this car but a couple of weeks after I got it the lifters are now ticking. However, with the ticking is the sound of something loose or broken in the same vicinity of the lifters. I imagine it will be broken lifter. It only makes a clang sound after several ticking sounds as tho it is making a full turn and then hitting something? I am no mechanic and don't have a personal one, and I just want to have an idea so I don`t get robbed what the cost to clean and or replace lifters would or should be at a garage? Someone told me it could cost me close to nine hundred dollars? I am praying this is not the case! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:31 PM

I would say maybe look at a Junk yard for same motor that you have for the head, You can find some on Ebay as well. Just don't know what one would be better. A Place like PickNPull would be the cheapest route, Only issue is that it is hard to know the condition of any way you go. It would be much cheaper then having one rebuilt. Maybe even buy a rebuilt one.

James

Old 02-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

ive not seen lifters break before. I have seen rocker arms strip out of the head and make a hell of a racket on the 3400 engines. those were not to bad to retap or helicoil and be back in business. Id start by yanking the valve cover and give it a look to see if you see anything obvious. if you had to pull the head for machine work or even to replace its really not to big a deal. theres many videos on youtube that will walk you right through it.
900 bucks is close maybe a bit on the high side labor and parts to do a head gasket replace (both heads not just 1) around my area. that's sending heads to machine shop for pressure check and milling if necessary and using the upgraded gaskets.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Question Well here is a youtube video

Well here is a youtube video that may be what is happening to your ride.
Harmonic balancer is broken. You would think it was going to blow up for sure.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:00 PM

Thank you Drivernumber3 I am glad that I can learn something new everyday. Today that just happens to be it. Now I know where to look if any of my 3800's have this issue. I wouldn't have been very happy hearing that in my motor.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Imp42017
Thank you Drivernumber3 I am glad that I can learn something new everyday. Today that just happens to be it. Now I know where to look if any of my 3800's have this issue. I wouldn't have been very happy hearing that in my motor.
You will find that most all of the folks on this site are very helpful. That's what we do some of us go to far ends to be helpful. I do the same thing back home. For friends and strangers alike.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Imp42017
I would say maybe look at a Junk yard for same motor that you have for the head, You can find some on Ebay as well. Just don't know what one would be better. A Place like PickNPull would be the cheapest route, Only issue is that it is hard to know the condition of any way you go. It would be much cheaper then having one rebuilt. Maybe even buy a rebuilt one.

James
Thanks James,

Old 03-01-2017, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
You will find that most all of the folks on this site are very helpful. That's what we do some of us go to far ends to be helpful. I do the same thing back home. For friends and strangers alike.
Thank you again drivernumber3, you certainly hit the nail on the head with this video. I'm pretty sure that is the same sound my vehicle is making, so now I have an idea of what to look for. I appreciate your help.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Aerocoupe86
ive not seen lifters break before. I have seen rocker arms strip out of the head and make a hell of a racket on the 3400 engines. those were not to bad to retap or helicoil and be back in business. Id start by yanking the valve cover and give it a look to see if you see anything obvious. if you had to pull the head for machine work or even to replace its really not to big a deal. theres many videos on youtube that will walk you right through it.
900 bucks is close maybe a bit on the high side labor and parts to do a head gasket replace (both heads not just 1) around my area. that's sending heads to machine shop for pressure check and milling if necessary and using the upgraded gaskets.
Yeah, it's not a nice sound I just hope it can be resolved before it causes any more damage? Thanks for your help.