Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

No High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Question No High Beams

Hello, I've been scouring the internet for info on this High Beam headlight problem, but haven't found any solution yet. Here is my situation: 2001 Monte Carlo SS... The message display gives me a message that says "High Beam Out". When I switch to High Beams, the low beams shut off, but high beams do not turn on. The blue indicator on the dash does come on. I've replaced all headlight bulbs and the mulitfunction switch. I've also checked the fuses in the box under the hood. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or can anyone point me to the next step I should take to figure this out? Any help is appreciated!

Old 10-25-2015, 03:42 PM

It may be a connector going to your headlights. I have never heard of this problem!

Old 10-26-2015, 08:10 PM

Definitely a ground problem. When I supply path to ground to the pink wire at the headlight, High Beams come on. My thought is ground for High Beams coming into the mulitfunction switch is bad which would explain the error message and the high beams not working. Can't seem to find that ground connection behind left side of dash though. I'll keep working on it...

Old 10-27-2015, 09:13 AM

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Problem solved. For anyone interested, the solution was to run a new wire from the multifunction switch connector (under the steering column) to the connector on the headlight assembly (either assembly would have worked). The multifunction switch provides a ground on the pink wire that runs through the harness to the lights. Note: the pink wire is ground to the high beams. It had apparently broken somewhere between the multifunction switch and the passenger side headlight assembly. I routed a new wire and spliced it into the pink wire on the headlight assembly and the pink wire on the multifunction switch connector. Path to ground restored, and high beams working properly once again. It also appears that the error message on the display that said: "High Beam Out" is gone as well.