Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Nice 02 SS . 0-60 in about a two miles .

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 05:31 PM
Default Nice 02 SS . 0-60 in about a two miles .

My 2002 Monte Carlo SS is a good looking car . I have had it for a year and a half . It started out driving the way it should . Normal maintenance has had me install new cv axles , hub assemblies , oil changes , rotors & pads etc. But about two months ago the performance started gradually falling off . Since it started acting up I have replaced the wires , plugs , coil packs , MAF sensor , EGR , and have had the alternator and ignition module tested . The check engine light still comes back on after it is driven the next time after a repair . I clear the codes after I install each part . If the cat. conv. is out , I have never noticed or been able to catch it glowing . If any you have heard anything that may help me understand or fix this issue I would appreciate it very much . In park it won't rev above 3000 rpm's . In drive it won't go above 60 mph without cutting out and jerking . This car drives and controls nice when it is right . Way too nice of a car to be acting like it does .

Old 01-24-2015, 05:35 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hi! I do not have answers to the problem you have having but wanted to say welcome to the forum!!

Old 01-24-2015, 05:54 PM

Thank you . I do appreciate the welcome . Those are both nice looking Monte Carlos .

Old 01-24-2015, 06:08 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thank you. BTW forgot to say it before...loved the title of your post...LOL

Old 01-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What code are you getting from the CEL?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:54 AM

my '03 cat was bad and it didn't "glow" either drove like **** replaced it and whoa!! have it checked!!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:54 AM

A simple vacuum gauge can tell if a cat is bad, watch it at idle 16-18" or better and note the vac then bring it to 2500 rpm (steady) and watch it if the vacuum starts to drop over 3-5 min then the cat/exhaust is useless if it remains sort of in the same range it is good. If the vacuum is low at idle and remains low or gets lower at the steady 2500 rpm the exhaust has a blockage of some sort. If the cat/exhaust is clogged/restrictive the needle on the vacuum gauge can/will rise and fall rapidly (fluctuate). This is caused by the pulses created in the (restricted) exhaust stream as each cylinder purges. This test is a good indicator of a clogged cat/exhaust, but a pre and post cat pressure test should be done to verify. In a pre/post pressure test the pressure should differ on both sides of the cat, but if it does not and remains the same (high) then the exhaust would be the culprit. You should see 3-5 psi pre cat @ 2500 rpm for a good system. How to pressure test? Simply get a pressure gauge 0-20 psi will suffice, 2 1/4" self tapping screws/bolts 1/4-1/2" long then drill a hole pre cat and get your reading... install 1 bolt then drill hole post cat and get your reading there. compare the two for regular flow, or higher than normal on one side or both. If both show high then disconnect your exhaust and run it to find out whether or not it is a restricted exhaust.

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 01-25-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have to ask too. What codes are you getting on you CEL? Did you use a AC/Delco MAS? When I got my 02MCSS, the MAS was bad. I went to EBAY and got one for $35. A month or so later I started having issue. It would idle rough on a cold start, and it would start and die right away when the motor was warm, unless I rev'ed it to about 1800 rpm for 30 seconds. Then it would run until it reach operating temp. Then stall and would not run until the temp dropped by 15°. It finally stopped running on my way home in a Blizzard. All this time I had No CEL codes. I thought it was the Ignition module because it was Heat related. The Pep Boys I use for Winter repairs, cause I only have a Shade Tree to work under!, Found it to be the MAS. They put the new MAS in, problem solved. But in searching for the problem they found that my CAT was bad. You could smell it but it did not turn Red Hot.

Also, I will remind you that New does not mean Good. I recently had a Complete rebuild on my Trans. With in a day after the repair, I found that the Torque converter, although brand new, was defective. It happens. Outside of cars, I use to build computers for Arcade games, when a customer would tell me that the game was New, I would tell them there is a reason for "The Lemon Law".
My point is, don't discount a part as the cause of your problem JUST because it was recently replace with New!

Old 01-25-2015, 11:15 AM

Ha ! I will get it straight . I think I have found an intake leak . Earlier I bought the gaskets . It is supposed to clear up weather wise around noon . I will tear into it then . I thank you for your hospitality , and hope you have a great day .

Old 01-25-2015, 11:21 AM

The check engine light comes on during acceleration . If you try to gain speed too fast the check engine light flashes . The message center doesn't say anything other than service traction system . My snap-on solus shows multiple miss fires , and EGR out of range .

Quick Reply: Nice 02 SS . 0-60 in about a two miles .