Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Newb e-brake rear bearing problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Default Newb e-brake rear bearing problem

Hope I didn't put this in the wrong spot for my first post here. Helping a friend with an 05 Monte Carlo SS whose son smacked a curb with the drivers rear. I have replaced almost all the rear suspension pieces with the exception of the rear swing arm. All was pretty straight forward until I went to replace the rear wheel bearing/hub. 1. Is there a trick to getting the e-brake to release to reveal the bearing? All the bolts holding the bearing are out, cable is released. 2. Best way to get bearing out? Seems like a slide hammer is going to be needed. Don't want to go prying on anything. Remember it took a nice lick in the rear so don't know if its jammed up and I don't have access to an exploded view. Thanks for any help

Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 PM

Hopefully this will help you out.

2005 Monte Carlo
Park Brake Shoe Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution

Refer to Brake Dust Caution in Cautions and Notices.
Caution

Refer to Brake Fluid Irritant Caution in Cautions and Notices.
Notice

Refer to Brake Fluid Effects on Paint and Electrical Components Notice in Cautions and Notices.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  2. Remove the rear tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Relieve the park brake system tension at the equalizer assembly.
  3. Remove the rear caliper bracket. Refer to Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement - Rear in Disc Brakes.
  4. Remove the rear rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear in Disc Brakes. URL=http://img18.imageshack.us/i/tiftogifca3e9h0i.gif/][/url]
  5. Disconnect and remove the rear park brake cable from the bracket at the rear wheel. Refer to Park Brake Cable Replacement - Rear .
  6. Disconnect the park brake cable return spring from the park brake actuator and bracket at the rear wheel.
  7. Remove the rear hub. Refer to Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement - Rear in Rear Suspension. The rear hub, backing plate, park brake cable bracket, and park brake actuator will be removed as an assembly.

8. Remove the 2 retainers (9) and the park brake cable bracket (8) from the park brake actuator (4). Position the rear hub aside .
  9. Remove the park brake shoe and actuator (4) from the backing plate (7).
  10. Separate the park brake shoe from the actuator.
Installation Procedure

1. Assemble the park brake shoe to the actuator (4).
  2. Install the park brake shoe and actuator (4) onto the backing plate (7). Notice

Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
  3. Position the park brake shoe, actuator (4), and backing plate (7) over the rear hub.
  4. Install the park brake cable bracket (8) and the two retainers (9). Tighten Tighten the bracket retainers to 14 N·m (124 lb in).
  5. Install the rear hub. Refer to Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement - Rear in Rear Suspension. The rear hub, backing plate, park brake cable bracket, and park brake actuator will be installed as an assembly.

URL=http://img18.imageshack.us/i/tiftogifca3e9h0i.gif/][/url]
  6. Install and connect the rear park brake cable to the bracket at the rear wheel.
  7. Connect the park brake cable return spring to the park brake actuator and bracket at the rear wheel.
  8. Install the rear rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear in Disc Brakes.
  9. Install the rear caliper bracket. Refer to Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement - Rear in Disc Brakes.
  10. Install the rear tire and wheel assemblies . Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
  11. Adjust the park brake system. Refer to Park Brake Adjustment .

Old 01-22-2011, 10:55 PM

What size are the #9 retainer screws on the park brake cable bracket???