Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New Member Needs a Little Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Default New Member Needs a Little Help

Hi everyone. I'm new to the sight.

I have 2005 monte ss supercharged. I hope someone can help me on my problem with the rear defogger.

I have replaced 30amp fuse on back of fuse box on pass side. As well as relay. I get 12 v on top side right, 6 volts on bottom of same side. I get 6 volts on bottom side of left, no voltage on top left. The switch is on. Checked rear grid, it's ok. Checked to see if any power to wire, only on white wire not on green wire. And there is no module cable. Has male and female ends. White and green wire has male and female connector with some sort of resistor in the middle from white to green wire.

From what I've been told by the dealer, the switch also turns on the outside defrost for the mirrors. They work. I don't have owners manual, and can't find anything on wiring. So I don't know what side of relay powers rear deffoger. If someone has pics of wire diagram for this would love to see. Or can give me some insight on this?

Last edited by Taz; 01-20-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: made it easier to read
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the MCF Family.

I moved your post to a new thread. I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge in electrical issues than myself will be able to at least point you in the right direction.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Welcome!

Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Greetings!

Have you checked for voltage on the grid to see if you are getting power to it? Using a multimeter/voltmeter place the positive probe on the driver side (positive) tab and the negative probe on the negative (passenger) tab and you should see voltage. If you don't check the fuse, switch and wiring. If voltage is present but the defroster doesn't work there may be a break in the grid. To test the grid connect the negative probe to the negative (passenger) tab and touch the positive probe to the center of each element on the window. A 6 volt reading indicates that the element is okay. Higher voltage (+10v or more) indicates a break in the element somewhere between the center of the element and the ground tab. No voltage reading indicates a break in the element between the center of the element and the positive (driver tab) terminal. Slowly sliding the negative probe along the element towards the driver side will help to locate the break. Repair the break in the grid with one of the repair kits available in the aftermarket and the defroster should work again.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum Chevelle.

I editted your post to make it a little easier to read. I also moved the thread over to the General Tech section so you would get more than just a bunch of "welcome to the forum" replies.

If you don't have the owners manual for your car, you're in luck. GM's Canadian website has pdf format (Adobe Acrobat Reader will open this file) versions of owners manuals. It's exactly the same as the original manual that came in your car's glove box. It won't be in french, or only metric, or written only for Canada. It'll be the original manual for your car.

I'll try to copy and paste the link to the pdf file for the 2005 manual. But not sure if it will work. I may have to copy and paste the link to the search page. Then you would have to navigate to the correct owners manual yourself.

Link to pdf file ---> http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manual...nual_en_CA.pdf

Link to Owner Resources search page ---> http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/owner_ce...dispManualInfo

Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM

Yes checked grid its fine just np power to green wire tried to check switch can't figure out how to get switch out took off dash cover and removed the unit all in cased as one can only defrost switch come out ? So can be checked

Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Chevelle
Yes checked grid its fine just np power to green wire tried to check switch can't figure out how to get switch out took off dash cover and removed the unit all in cased as one can only defrost switch come out ? So can be checked
I don't have a schematic to look at, so I assume the green wire feeds power to the grid? If that's the case you'll need to backtrack towards the switch until you find an open in the circuit. AFAIK the defroster switch is an integral part of the HVAC control head. If it is defective you'll probably need to replace the entire unit. But I would double check and verify that the switch is receiving power before replacing the control unit.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 AM

Does anyone have wire diagram for bcm or can someone tell me what all it powers to me I think it controls all inside functions ? I ask because of different voltage readings I get from the rear defrost relay and now I get no power to heated mirror fuse Esther side of fuse it goes to shop on the 30 th to be checked ill post and let all know unless some one gives me insight on what's going on first thanks.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am not much of an electrician but welcome to the fourm

Quick Reply: New Member Needs a Little Help