Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

new 3.8l motor lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Default new 3.8l motor lifter noise

Hi, put a new motor in my 03 SS, after 3500 miles it has developed a lifter tick, with stethoscope it sounds like cyc 6, a little reluctant to tear into it again, it was a crate motor and they are giving me the run a round about the warranty, should I replace all lifters or just the offending cyclinder

Old 05-29-2016, 08:57 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Is it still under warranty??

Old 05-29-2016, 09:43 PM

I am at the point of making the repair my self, I registered the motor for warranty on line but "they" cannot find my registration, I have been in my old motor several times and am confident about replacing the lifters if I need to, yes the money loss is a pain but this is my baby and I will do whatever to keep it running as perfect as I can, I have already put way more into it than its worth, I plan on having my 03 for a long time, I guess my question is should I go after replacing only the lifters which may have collapsed or a whole new set.....and is there a solution for this condition without getting that deep into it, I plan on a stage 2 turbo kit soon, (600hp), after I can find a 1" chain for my tranny

Old 05-29-2016, 10:35 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

If you are going to open it up, I would personally replace all of them.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:31 PM

If it's a crate engine the lifters should all be new. My suspect would be a loose rocker bolt. If the crate engine was sitting for a long time before you got it a lifter is probably just sticking or a piece of casting wasn't cleaned out properly.

Check the rocker bolts first and if that's not the problem they should warranty the repairs or engine. That's how the GM factory warranty works. Contact the GM 1 800 number that should've come with the engine.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:33 PM

To do the turbo you'd need better lifters, push rods, and valves anyway for durability.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
To do the turbo you'd need better lifters, push rods, and valves anyway for durability.
and trans
I have changed my mod plan, because of the info here and being around people building stock car for track
My new plan is before turbo the engine and trans will be done so they can handle the increased power
Turbo Monte also mentions issues with fuel pressure as he hits 500 whp

I can't mod and break I need to do this smart