Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need Help!!! tranny not engageing

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Default Need Help!!! tranny not engageing

hi,
i have a 1973 monte carlo that had a 350 in it and we swapped it out for a 454 and turbo 400 tranny from a 1975 monte carlo. i went ahead and fired it up... (we never have the ability to test the tranny b4 it went in...) i put it in reverse and it didnt move... it just started rolling when the rpms got to about 2000. i put it in drive and there is nothing.
any suggestions??? how can i test the tranny in place??? what ajustments need to be made??? this is a console shift but i dont think it has to do with the cable ajustment...
thanks in advance,
James

Old 09-19-2013, 07:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 73monte
hi,
i have a 1973 monte carlo that had a 350 in it and we swapped it out for a 454 and turbo 400 tranny from a 1975 monte carlo. i went ahead and fired it up... (we never have the ability to test the tranny b4 it went in...) i put it in reverse and it didnt move... it just started rolling when the rpms got to about 2000. i put it in drive and there is nothing.
any suggestions??? how can i test the tranny in place??? what ajustments need to be made??? this is a console shift but i dont think it has to do with the cable ajustment...
thanks in advance,
James
It sounds like the transmission isn't any good....
Did you possibly change the filter in the trans before you instahled it?
What did the fluid look like prior to instahling the trans? Did it smell burnt ?? Was it brownish in color? No forward...and a minor movement in reverse tells me its not any good... IMO ... Pull the Pan and check and see whats sitting in the bottom of the pan...If you find a bunch of grit, metal shavings, and its a dark brown/black residue in the pan.... Its definitely has some serious issues...
I would have it rebuilt by a professional Transmission shop...

Maybe someone else will chime in with some other suggestions.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-19-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Default 73 monte carlo

yes i have dropped the pan... the fluid was the normal red, there was no metal shavings... there was some small particals of dirt in the bottom of the pan.. the tranny had been sitting 4 10 years b4 we got it and it "was driven to where it sat". the fluid did not smell burnt... but it did have a really weird smell to it... a smell thats hard to explane but is like its... rotted??? for lack of a better word. could it also be the torque converter??? or could there be some gummed up oil in some passage that is doing this???
thanks,
James

Old 09-19-2013, 08:10 PM

5 Year Member

James if the trans sat that long....

It sounds like the trans fluid is rotten...sorta like it turning to varnish....
Like 60 yr old trans dope.... I believe the only way your going to get it to
work again...Is to completely disassemble the trans and clean everything thoroughly... as well as the clutchs steels etc.... The bands...you'll probably need to replace as well... other wise it will probably just crumble to pieces when you try to reassemble it... So I would HIGHLY Recommend a complete rebuild.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Default 73 monte

alrighty!!!
thanks man!!!!!!
this helps aloooooot!!! lol
thanks,
James

Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 73monte
alrighty!!!
thanks man!!!!!!
this helps aloooooot!!! lol
thanks,
James

YVW James!
Let us know how things work out for you!

Old 09-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Default update

k, so ive got the tranny apart mostly... what do i look 4 that will show me that it is clogged up??? is it mostly in the hydralics on the bottom of the tranny??? or in the clutch and gear systems in the inside??? i ordered a rebuild kit and a stage 2 shift kit. im up im saskatchewan, canada and winter is getting very very close. i hope to have it driving b4 the first snow... dont know if possible but ill keep my fingers crossed!!!! by the way there is a lot of sludge buildup throughout the tranny... im using a baby bathtub to wash the parts in (if u know how big that is its about 1 1/2' x 3') and ive only taken the hydralics off the bottom, removed the oil pump and cleaned it out, took out and disassembaled the forward clutch and secondary clutch, and i have an 1/8th inch of sludge in the bottom of the tub...
thanks
James