Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need help. I have no idea what's wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Need help. I have no idea what's wrong.

Probably wouldn't make much sense typing it out trying to explain my problem. So I made a video. Please watch and help if you can. I'm completely lost on what's wrong with my car. First day of my last semester started yesterday so this couldn't have happened at a worse time.

I'm not sure how to embed youtube videos on this site so here's the link

Edit: Oh, guess it embeds automatically lol.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:56 PM

I would start by taking a multimeter and checking your battery voltage. Then check the alternator for continuity or you can pull it and take it up to an autozone or oreilly where they can test it for you. It's hard to say without looking at something like this in person and spending a few hours on it. Worst case scenario your local chevy dealer will be able to take care of you, but it's not the most cost efficient route

Old 01-13-2015, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member

Battery has a full charge.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Disconnect the battery for a while, then hook it up again and see what happens. Hopefully give all the computers a chance to reset.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Disconnect the battery for a while, then hook it up again and see what happens. Hopefully give all the computers a chance to reset.
This happened about 4-5 years ago and it magically worked the next day; so I guess everything reset. Guess I'll unhook the battery over night and hope for the best.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:04 PM

remove and clean and re-attach the small black gauge wire on/ from you negative battery cable. You have a very bad body ground.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Have you tried jump starting it?

I would also disconnect the battery cables and give them a through cleaning..

I'm suspecting a bad alternator and battery..

GM has a safety mechanism to shut down the vehicle when it hits a certain low voltage point..

Unlike the old days when you could crank a battery until its dead...

Have the battery and the alternator load tested at your local auto parts..
you may find 1 or both are defective.

Most batterys only last 3 yrs... 5 max...
I did recall you said this happened 3 to 4 yrs ago..So, it maybe time for a new battery.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

I would have to agree with the advice you have been given. If the Starter goes out it will do the same thing as this is doing also. When the batteries go they go and there is nothing you can predict from them, alternators are as finicky as they are.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
remove and clean and re-attach the small black gauge wire on/ from you negative battery cable. You have a very bad body ground.
I have to agree. The body ground under that wire harness gets all rusted and causes all kinds of problems.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member

Tried to jump it. No luck. Put it on a charger and the battery was near full; I let it charge a little anyway just to make sure it had plenty of juice.

I did a big 3 upgrade maybe 5 years ago (for car audio reasons) so I'll go over all my connections and give them a good cleaning.

I bought a Deka car battery about 5 years ago so I would assume it's still good for as expensive as it was, and I would assume my alt is still good considering my battery had a charge.

Pos battery cable is currently off. Going to leave that off until I'm finished going over all my connections tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Need help. I have no idea what's wrong.