Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Need help diagnosing some problems

Old 09-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Default Need help diagnosing some problems

Hey everybody, I'm turning here because I don't know where else to go.

I got my 06 LT when I turned 17 and got my license. I'm 21 now, and it's been off the road for almost a year. There's a few problems with it, and I genuinely have no idea what could be causing them. Every time I got it fixed, the problems would just come back shortly after.

The heat isn't working properly. It only works after the temperature gauge reaches the halfway point, and the less I accelerate, the less heat I get. The car overheats (even after replacing the fluids). It makes this strange "zoom" sound whenever I accelerate or turn the car on. I'm really not a car person, and I don't have any family in my life that can help me properly diagnose the problem.

At this point, I would rather not bring it directly to a mechanic without knowing the exact problems. I really need to get this car back on the road. I'm a full time college student, sharing a car with my Father, who has a conflicting schedule. I don't know if there's anybody that lives on Long Island who specializes in Monte's who could possibly come give it a look? You will be paid of course.

If you guys can help me diagnose the problems here, that's great too. I don't have the key on me right now, and won't until later. This is a great car, but the whole time I've owned it, all it ever has is problems. I just need to figure out what the hell is wrong with it!

Old 09-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

I have a Pontiac that had similar issues.
On it the intake manifold gasket was bad. Replaced that and it solved the issue. This is common on the 3400 and 3800 motors not sue what your driving.
This could also be the water pump as well, with the zoom.........
Thermostats are always tricky and may need to be replaced.
that's where I would begin. Another thing you can do is check youtube there are all kinds of videos that show how to repair these things on Monte Carlo's.
I usually do a search in google for the issue and it will give you multiple choices.

Last edited by drivernumber3; 09-22-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:51 PM

The heat should only work when the temperature gauge reaches the halfway point, so it is working properly. Overheating is one of the following:

Thermostat
Radiator hoses
Radiator
Radiator cap
Overflow tank cap

Good luck on the zooming. I have no idea.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xX760Xx
The heat isn't working properly. It only works after the temperature gauge reaches the halfway point, and the less I accelerate, the less heat I get.
Does it blow cold air even after the car has had enough time to warm up? Is there any relation to the temperature of the air and your speed? In other words, does it blow hot only above 50 mph even after the car has warmed up? If you're moving below a certain speed or stopped, does it only blow cold? Reason I ask is because my fiance is having that issue with her Mustang and that appears to be due to low coolant level - I just haven't got to the point of checking.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 09-27-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Search this Thread