Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need help deciding on brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Default Need help deciding on brake rotors

I'm trying to get out in front of my need for brakes by figuring out what i'm going to get when it's time (I think it's getting close, haven't changed anything on my brakes since I bought the car in 2005). I've pretty much settled on the Hawk HPS pads so now it's all about the rotors.

I should be able to get some 20's pretty soon since I don't have a car note anymore so i'm thinking I should get some regular rotors, good pads and maybe some stainless brake lines. The goal is increased stopping power on a budget. I love the look of slotted/drilled rotors but i've heard the extra material removed from the rotors on those types decrease the contact area.

So i'm thinking I should go with some Brembo blanks. Any reason I shouldn't?

I can get the blanks and pads, front and rear, for $337 shipped. Is that a decent price or can they be had for less?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've got to agree unless you plan on road rallying the car or some other similar type of race/competition driving most of us do not need a drilled rotor for the street.

A slotted rotor is fine. And I do like the looks of them. So much so I'd like a set for one or more or my cars.

You could probably find a cheaper slotted rotor for your car and save some cash versus the drilled/slotted rotors. A set of performance pads and stainless brake lines and you should inprove your brakes quite nicely.

Then you get in to the "Well you have these cool aftermarket rotors but you wheels hide them." scenerio. So you either have to decide to buy wheels that show off the cool brake rotors or resign yourself to explaining to everyone, "Yep, my car has slotted rotors."
(my luck on this. SOMEONE would mistake what I just said and come back with, "You just called your wife a .... WHAT? A slot?")

I've been checking out the EBC brake parts. I think the red pads would go nicely with the '03 Pace car theme. (no one steal my idea)LOL

Old 04-25-2010, 09:04 PM

Man, I've been hearing lots of good things about the Brake Motive brakes on ebay, people on car boards all over the net have used them with great results. Not to mention that they're $170 shipped for front and rear drilled/slotted rotors zinc coated and ceramic pads. I just need to talk to Jim, the owner, and get confirmation on the pads and I think that's the route i'm going to take.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 PM

ive heard the slots are more for racing. the drilled are for gas exhast and keeping them cooler so they dont warp as fast.

ebc uses only drilled, but only half way threw so there is zero chances of cracking. theres also very expensive.

GL with whatever your decide. personally i think that the drilled slotted look and preform better that oem style. also i dont think you'll have any problems with them as long as you dont slam on the brakes everystop, use them all the time, or have stock in midas.

if your brakes have lasted you for 5 years i think you'll be fine. you know what your doing. plus stainless lines will help you as far as sloppy/spongy pedal feel.

make sure that you wear them in befor you go useing the crap out of um.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

I have the summit racing drilled/slotted rotors. they aren't zinc coated, but if you paint the hubs it helps with the rusting and makes it look better

Old 04-25-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by mak330
ive heard the slots are more for racing. the drilled are for gas exhast and keeping them cooler so they dont warp as fast.

ebc uses only drilled, but only half way threw so there is zero chances of cracking. theres also very expensive.

GL with whatever your decide. personally i think that the drilled slotted look and preform better that oem style. also i dont think you'll have any problems with them as long as you dont slam on the brakes everystop, use them all the time, or have stock in midas.

if your brakes have lasted you for 5 years i think you'll be fine. you know what your doing. plus stainless lines will help you as far as sloppy/spongy pedal feel.

make sure that you wear them in befor you go useing the crap out of um.
I figured for $170, can't really go wrong. Most other rotors of the same type would cost just as much if not more, plus the cost of the pads. Hopefully I have good luck with them. I never knew what bedding in was in regards to brakes but after doing my research this weekend I'll definitely do that before I get on the road.

Thanks man!

Originally Posted by Donutboy97
I have the summit racing drilled/slotted rotors. they aren't zinc coated, but if you paint the hubs it helps with the rusting and makes it look better
Good point, I'm definitely going to paint the hubs. Actually, I seen someone got brakes from the same guy and his whole rotors was black, looked sick! Of course it will wear off where the pad contacts the rotor but that's to be expected.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:51 PM

Well, after alot of research I decided to give the brakemotive brakes a shot. I'm in Northern Cali, they're in Chicago....I ordered them Monday and had them in my hands that Thursday! Today i'm going to get them masked up and sprayed, i'm gonna paint the hats and edges black. When I put them on next weekend i'm going to paint my calipers.....just not sure what color yet.

Either black, red, or gold (like on STi's)

Old 09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

congrats on the new brakes, please let us all know how well it all works for you. I may be in the market for a set come spring time next year, thanks

Old 09-26-2010, 08:40 PM

I don't know if I'll be able to take many pics since i'm going to be the one doing the work and my father in law is going to be supervising, but I'll definitely get some installed pics! I don't think that'll be an issue cause someone already put up a pretty sweet how-to here on the board.

The only issue is that I won't be able to paint my calipers at the time I do the rotors/pads cause they didn't have the color I wanted local so I had to order from Amazon and their expected ship date is the day I head down to my father in laws But it's all good, I should have a handle on how to get the job done so I can just pull the calipers off when I get the paint and do them at my leisure here at home.

But at least my rotors will be painted!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

I hear you on that, I read in an earlier post you made about not wanting to make a 1 hour job into a 2 hour job, no big deal, thanks. Please post how you like the new set-up, thanks

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on brake rotors