Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need Help! Cylinder 4 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Thumbs down Need Help! Cylinder 4 misfire

ok on my 05 ss s/c with 53k miles, just did a few mods to car, 1.9 rocker arms, 3.25" s/c pully, throttle body spacer, 3" down pipe...ran fine for a day then got a cylinder 4 misfire changed spark plugs, swapped injectors, swapped spark plug wires, checked all wiring i removed for rocker arms...and now im STUCK! still cyl. 4, what else can i do?? Cant see the piston going bad its only got 53k, maybe ignition module? but i got spark(held plug to block) any help is appricated.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Arrow Need GM Tech...Really Bad

Hi MemberWickerxxClown,
Sorry 2 read that you are having a prob with your Monte Carlo SS
SuperCharger.
I am not a GM Tech, but just a KidSpaceWebSearcher.

Please be Patience, we have several great member's that
visit the forum often, that may be able to assist you with
your problem. Is your Monte throwing any codes ?
I don't know `if the below applies, but it's something 2 read
as you wait for one of our Super Expert Members to respond.
Wish you Good Luck, and we look 4ward to seeing your issued
resolved, and also seeing pictures of your SS SuperCharged Monte.

Knock Sensor | Replacement Knock Sensors
The knock sensor is located in the engine valve or cylinder at the back ... At the minor end of the spectrum, this causes inefficient gas use and ... You may also experience misfires, backfires, or smell a strong engine ... Chevrolet K15 P/up Ext V8 5.7, Chevrolet Monte Carlo V6, Chevrolet S10 PUP EC 4W V6 4.3 ...
www.redlinemotive.com/replacement/knocksensor.as... - 29k - Similar pages

Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 PM

did you scan for knock with the new pulley? Did you do a new tune when you changed it? You cant just throw a new pulley on it. Possibly damaged a piston with knock, hope its not the case, but I'd get a tune and a scan for KR, and drop the pulley size back. Also check the TB spacer and see if coolant is leaking in, mine did that, just tossed it. Waste of an upgrade, dont really need it.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Originally Posted by WickedxxClown
ok on my 05 ss s/c with 53k miles, just did a few mods to car, 1.9 rocker arms, 3.25" s/c pully, throttle body spacer, 3" down pipe...ran fine for a day then got a cylinder 4 misfire changed spark plugs, swapped injectors, swapped spark plug wires, checked all wiring i removed for rocker arms...and now im STUCK! still cyl. 4, what else can i do?? Cant see the piston going bad its only got 53k, maybe ignition module? but i got spark(held plug to block) any help is appricated.
I know this sounds strange, but have you have your catalytic converter checked. A plugged cat could cause valves to overheat and misfire. Many members have reported that misfire codes go away with a new cat.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Got HP tuners, no KR at any rpm in park, about 5 @ 3000 rpm in gear.
Anyone know what things need to be tuned for a smaller s/c pully??, a ball park range to get me started.
Also thinking a stuck valve from the rocker arm upgrade(maybe defective??)any thoughts on that?
Gonna check cylinder pressure today to see what that comes up with.
CAT is brand new high flow.
No codes except cylinder 4 misfire.

Last edited by WickedxxClown; 04-02-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Got HP tuners, no KR at any rpm in park, about 5 @ 3000 rpm in gear.
Anyone know what things need to be tuned for a smaller s/c pully??, a ball park range to get me started.
Also thinking a stuck valve from the rocker arm upgrade(maybe defective??)any thoughts on that?
Gonna check cylinder pressure today to see what that comes up with.
CAT is brand new high flow.
No codes except cylinder 4 misfire.

Hi Wicked,
Several of our Member's have dealt with ZZP on the below link,
and they have had super results.
Rockin04SS & Explosive Soundz are just two that have used ZZP.

You can wait for one of our Expert Tech Member's to reply,
or you may want to email the tech's @ ZZP.
They R very helpful.
Good Luck

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/contactus.php
click above link 2 check `out their site
Good Luck
"Nothing Ventured ~ Nothing Gained"

Old 04-02-2009, 12:31 PM

will look into that

Old 04-02-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sickofsoyo
did you scan for knock with the new pulley? Did you do a new tune when you changed it? You cant just throw a new pulley on it. Possibly damaged a piston with knock, hope its not the case, but I'd get a tune and a scan for KR, and drop the pulley size back. Also check the TB spacer and see if coolant is leaking in, mine did that, just tossed it. Waste of an upgrade, dont really need it.
where did u get the TB spacer??

Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM

will look into that

Thanks lol

FYI Below
MCF HomeWork ***ignment
<LI about="r10">97 Grand Prix GTP with Intermittent #4 Cylinder Misfire - 3.... Got a used PCM with the latest GM software and still number 4 cylinder misfire. ..... #4 cylinder misfire, JCG's-GTP, 3.8L V6 Supercharged (L67)(L32) ...
www.grandprixforums.net/f18/97-grand-prix-gtp-in... - 122k - Similar pages
http://www.grandprixforums.net/f18/9...-4-a-5589.html
<LI about="r11">dtc p1380 misfire - 3.8L V6 Supercharged (L67)(L32... Found this in the GM SI manual: .... The amp draw should be in the 2 to 4 amp range. ... #4 cylinder misfire, JCG's-GTP, 3.8L V6 Supercharged (L67)(L32) ...
www.grandprixforums.net/f18/dtc-p1380-mis... - 78k - Similar pages
[ More results from www.grandprixforums.net ]
http://www.grandprixforums.net/f18/d...fire-4731.html

<LI about="r12">Underhood Service - Servicing GM's 3800 V6 Engines 3.8L V6 engine has had a production run lasting m... ... Each coil fires two cylinders with cylinders 1/4, 2/5 and 3/6 each sharing a coil. ... On 1996 and newer vehicles, you should get a cylinder misfire code. ... On the supercharged 3800 engines, one item that is often overlooked is the oil reservoir for the ...
www.underhoodservice.com/Article/40247/servicing... - 62k - Similar pages
http://www.underhoodservice.com/Arti...6_engines.aspx
<LI about="r13">iATN Member GM Auto Repair Tech Exchange for February 18, 20... Feb 18, 2008 ... Misfire code stored for cylinder #4 but misfire counters show #2 is ... 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8L MIL Lamp on 3.8 Supercharged system ...
www.iatn.net/techmail/summaries/2008/02/18/gm.ht... - 28k - Similar pages
http://www.iatn.net/techmail/summari.../02/18/gm.html
<LI about="r14">iATN Member GM Auto Repair Tech Exchange for March... Mar 18, 2009 ... The vehicle will only take like 4 gallons at a time and the pump shuts off. ... 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8L Cuts out have 3.8 supercharged grand prix with 2- channel .... Trouble codes: P0300 (Random cylinder misfire. ...
www.iatn.net/techmail/summaries/2009/03/1... - 28k - Similar pages
[ More results from www.iatn.net ]

Old 04-02-2009, 02:13 PM

hmmm, what spark plugs are you running and at what gap?

and I believe it was a ZZP spacer, but Im not 100% sure. bought it with an l67 TB when I bought it.

what about the exhaust system? headers? etc? as for tune, Im not sure, I cant tune myself, but you will need to adjust the timing I believe, and maybe AF ration etc...

I can ask around, I know of someone who might be able to give you a better idea whats goin on.

Quick Reply: Need Help! Cylinder 4 misfire