Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Mystery Conduit

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Mystery Conduit

Someone left a screw or clip or something off the bottom of my car, and I've been loath to go up on ramps to fix it, because the last time I did (with my Aurora), the torque threw one of the ramps back behind the wheel, and extricating the ramp cost me a piece of the rocker panel.

The SS has a lot more torque than the Aurora.

Anyway, there's now a black conduit hanging down, in the vicinity of the oil pan. It's about an inch and a half in diameter, and has a red cable of some kind inside it. It seems to be firmly attached at both ends, but I can imagine about ten things that could rip it out if I ran over them.

Anyone know what this is?

Old 12-19-2016, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member

Bump....

Old 12-20-2016, 07:32 AM

Starter cable? It's red and should have some of that nylon loom on it at some point. I've not seen the newer MC but on my regular other wbodies, that's the set up where the starter cable loops around the trans side before returning toward the battery side to connect to the starter.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member

Turns out it IS the starter cable.

And thus begins a new problem. When the cable was dangling before I changed the battery, it wasn't actually causing any problems. Now that the battery is changed, the car doesn't want to start. It seems like, even though I put it back in the factory-provided harness at the top of the front bumper and added four zip-ties, it doesn't make a proper connection unless I haul up on it at the part where it comes up vertically in front of the accessory drive. Even then, that's only good for one key cycle; then it dies again, with my keys locked in the ignition cylinder.

I'm positive I didn't break the cable. What can possibly be wrong?

Old 01-12-2017, 07:53 AM

The starter cable is not making a good connection? So you're basically 'jiggling' the cable or such in a way that makes contact and thus the car can start again?

From that, I'd still point to a connection/wiring issue. Are you sure there isn't an internal break somewhere in the wire - probably near the starter? Alternatively you could check the starter with a remote turn on and power it directly to the battery - but again it sounds like you're moving the wire to make a connection so it still sounds like a wiring issue.

I looked at rockauto and it shows the cheap brand for a new battery cable at about $40 and ACDelco at $113. So there's always that to look into.