Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

My DIC is broken!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Default My DIC is broken!!

Regarding the DIC (Driver's Information Center) that has the sunroof controls, temperature/mpg/fuel used/etc display, what do you need to do to remove it to check the wiring?

When I push the sunroof button, the sunroof opens and only slides back a bit. I have to repetitively push the button to get it to travel a 1/8" to a 1 inch at a time. I had the problem under warrantee and they swapped out the whole unit and the problem has occured again. I'm looking to swap it out with one from a junk yard, but I don't want to break the plastic when I remove it. I was wondering what holds it up there? Can I pull real hard and the unit will pop out or do I need a special facia tool?

Also do you remove the center black piece first, then the gray trim on the outside? It seems screwed in.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: My DIC is broken!!

this is not something that should be posted on a monte carlo site...i think you should be talking to your doctor or gf

lmao!!

just kidding

Old 03-20-2007, 07:14 PM

I painted mine a while ago and all think i did was take out the screw in the back of it and then it just came out pretty easily

Old 03-22-2007, 10:13 PM

yeah all ya need is a trox bit on that one i think or it was a philips head screw driver. nothing fancy.

But to answer your question can you pull real hard and have it coem down?
Sure ya can

BUT I DONT RECOMEND IT!!! You wont like the out come as you tear all teh wires out of the ehad liner and the headliner is tore from this happening.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member

Looking closely at it, it looks like you have to pull the black internal trim out first and then I should have access to the screws to actually take the DIC out and the grey trim.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:54 AM

My sunroof has done the same thing in the past . The dealer saysit just needsto relearnwhere the stops are . You just run in back & forth about 10 times , from completely closed to fully opened then completely closed again . Give that a try before taking things apart if you haven't already .

Old 03-24-2007, 06:25 PM

look in the back from under it looking up there is one screw there to hold the qwhole thing up there and if ya take it out it will come down for ya.

I have my fuzz buzter hard wired in right there and also my GPS from teh old oen there to plug in to .

If you go threw all of this run a 12volt power supply there so you can do the same if ya want to.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member

WOOT!!! I fixed my DIC!!!!

The actual control works fine, but like dad0098 said it needed to relearn the stops. By repeatedly taping the button to open the roof and pushing it back little by little till fully open, then doing the reverse till it closed, it was fixed completely in 4 or 5 attempts.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:08 AM

NICE!!
Glad to hear you didnt have to replace the roof or somthing.

But man we really need some kind of TIPS section here spo we can add things like this in to it so if it were to happen to others they have a chane on fixing it them selves before having to go to the dealer.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 04 Intimidator
WOOT!!! I fixed my DIC!!!!

The actual control works fine, but like dad0098 said it needed to relearn the stops. By repeatedly taping the button to open the roof and pushing it back little by little till fully open, then doing the reverse till it closed, it was fixed completely in 4 or 5 attempts.
I have this exact same issue w/my sunroof. I have tried opening it all the way but only while driving. Then when closing it, it always seems like it is going to be stuck open. Sometimes it seems like the switch is not working. I don't want to take it to a dealer, but I also don't want to buy a new switch if I don't have to.

Is there a way to test if it needs to relearn the stops or if the switch is bad?

For the past year or so I've just driven w/out opening the sunroof for fear of it being stuck open. I would love to have the sunroof back.

Quick Reply: My DIC is broken!!